Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I change "this thing" on a radiator

Options
  • 11-10-2020 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

I don't know the name of this thing (please help) and it is leaking a drip of water at the moment.
    Does anybody know the name of it, and when I open it will lots of water flow out, or what do I need to do to change it?
    I suspect it just needs some PTFE tape on the threads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its a bleed valve. Its supposed to let any air out of the rad when you open it. But if you have to ask what it is then you really need a plumber to replace it

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Its a bleed valve. Its supposed to let any air out of the rad when you open it. But if you have to ask what it is then you really need a plumber to replace it

I know what it does, I just didn't know the name of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Is it leaking at the the point it threads into the radiator? If so PTFE tape is likely to solve it using the same unit.

You will need to turn off the radiator at the normal on/off valve, and also turn off the lockshield** valve on the other side before removing the bleed valve. A small amount of water will be released when you remove it. You should bleed the radiator when the job is complete.

**Note the lockshield valve needs to be returned to the same position afterwards, so mark it and count the turns it takes to close it.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Is it leaking at the the point it threads into the radiator? If so PTFE tape is likely to solve it using the same unit.

You will need to turn off the radiator at the normal on/off valve, and also turn off the lockshield** valve on the other side before removing the bleed valve. A small amount of water will be released when you remove it. You should bleed the radiator when the job is complete.

**Note the lockshield valve needs to be returned to the same position afterwards, so mark it and count the turns it takes to close it.

Hey..I have a similar problem but its the lockshield valve side..would just removing it and getting some of that tape sort it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Lenar3556 wrote: »

Yeah I am pretty sure that is where the leak is - I will double-check that is the case later when I turn on the heating. If its not I will just replace the bleed valve (now that I have the lingo! :D ) as I'm sure they aren't that expensive.

Thanks for your help - appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement