Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving before end of lease.

Options
  • 11-10-2020 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all ,
    I plan on leaving my house share at the end.of the month, with the view to finding someone and getting my deposit back. 3 out of 4 housemates were verbally ok with new prospective tenant , one is not . She wasn't happy with the process . How much weight does one person have in this ? Landlord wishes are that all are happy with replacement however I know she won't be and will hold things up. Anyway around this or should I just accept that I will lose my deposit.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

mabe wrote: »
    Hi all ,
    I plan on leaving my house share at the end.of the month, with the view to finding someone and getting my deposit back. 3 out of 4 housemates were verbally ok with new prospective tenant , one is not . She wasn't happy with the process . How much weight does one person have in this ? Landlord wishes are that all are happy with replacement however I know she won't be and will hold things up. Anyway around this or should I just accept that I will lose my deposit.

Thanks.

So she has no objection to the person per se? Can you have a quiet serious chat with her including that you need your deposit?

She cannot expect you to stay forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi all ,
    3 out of 4 housemates were verbally ok with new prospective tenant , one is not . She wasn't happy with the process . How much weight does one person have in this ? Landlord wishes are that all are happy with replacement however I know she won't be and will hold things up. Anyway around this or should I just accept that I will lose my deposit.

Thanks.

There is always one in a house share that is cranky or mooches off everyone else. I will bet you anything OP that she is always finding fault with everything in someway or other. It is a little condition, the serial complainer. See her, learn from experience and avoid her type in the future. She doesnt like change and will grumble and complain at every stage. I dont know what the process going forward is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

What sort of lease have you signed OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

It’s not really about deposit but do the other tenants and the one against the new tenant realise that they are liable for the rent of the house and will have to pay up if replacement isn’t found in time.

It’s not really about deposit but do the other tenants and the one against the new tenant realise that they are liable for the rent of the house and will have to pay up if replacement isn’t found in time.

Once that reality kicks in they will be less fussy.
    It might be easier to replace the OP AND the fussy tennant.
    She strikes me as someone who will never be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 mabe

Once that reality kicks in they will be less fussy.
    It might be easier to replace the OP AND the fussy tennant.
    She strikes me as someone who will never be happy.

Nah they pushed viewings out till Friday evening even tho they work from home , they want to start again as the process wasn't right. So long far well to my deposit.

Nah they pushed viewings out till Friday evening even tho they work from home , they want to start again as the process wasn't right. So long far well to my deposit.

Did you give them a months notice? Then that is Their problem not yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

Hi all ,

Thanks.

Is this one tenant that isn't happy with this decision the house owner or relivant to the landlord? If the answer is no then this person has no say whatsoever when you decide to leave.

In saying that, she might be more concerned with the randomization of people coming to view the room that's up for rent as it could heighten the covid chances and I can see her point clearly but if its a case of, she's just out of sorts about it for some unknown reason then no, she has no say really.

If your landlord is more than happy for your to move on than you should speak to them about your deposit, not the housemate who feels like her day has been put out of place because of your choice to move on.

That's all part and parcel of house sharing. It can be like a revolving door, she just has to get over herself.

Good luck OP

Did you give them a months notice? Then that is Their problem not yours.

No it was a quick turn around needed . Landlord happy as long as replacement found and others happy , process was quick.

No it was a quick turn around needed . Landlord happy as long as replacement found and others happy , process was quick.

Then you should be grateful he didnt pursue you for the remainder of the lease (There are ones out there).

• Advertisement

Then you should be grateful he didnt pursue you for the remainder of the lease (There are ones out there).

..... Fair . And to the series complainer .... I do or say what to ??

Leave her be, chalk it down to experience. See her, learn to identify her type so you will know for future reference. A house share is a great and possibly an expensive way to study psychology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

She's a complainer. That's her choice. She's no reason to complain in fairness as it's not up to her to decide if you should stay or go. Honestly you don't need to do anything. You've said your leaving, landlord was happy with this and was absolutely fair in this as they could of made you pay the remainer so let the complainer complain. She doesn't owe you anything and you don't owe her anything.

Say your goodbyes and continue on your journey

Depending on your lease and notice given, you may be entitled to your full deposit back and not have to find a replacement tenant.

You haven't given these details though

dubrov wrote: »
    Depending on your lease and notice given, you may be entitled to your full deposit back and not have to find a replacement tenant.

You haven't given these details though

I thought so too but he gave short notice. He isnt entitled to his deposit back and he is lucky the land lord isnt pursuing the balance of the lease?

I thought so too but he gave short notice. He isnt entitled to his deposit back and he is lucky the land lord isnt pursuing the balance of the lease?

That all depends on the notice period required and given as well as the amount of deposit paid

dubrov wrote: »
    That all depends on the notice period required and given as well as the amount of deposit paid

Standard notice required... Gave less notice on condition someone filled the room .sound landlord to be fair .

Advertisement