Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this worth going to HR ?

Options
  • 11-10-2020 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hello all this is my first time in a situation like this, I had a phone call from my manager stating another colleague is complaining about me a long time to him, mostly exaggerated petty complaints, taking few minutes extra on breaks etc.. things he’s guilty of himself

The thing that made me livid was that he emailed the manager stating two other colleagues are fed up with me too, my manager forwarded the email to the colleagues in which they denied. The guy who is **** stirring was angry at my manager for forwarding them the email (meaning he’s obviously being untrue)

This guy is constantly **** stirring and trying to sour my name and reputation out of jealousy of my good working relationship with the manager

The good thing is thankfully my manager trust me an knows I work hard and the guy (**** stirrer) also has a problem with the manager and argues with him a lot.

The manager told me to not say anything about the email that he is trying in the background to get rid of this guy or sort him out some how become he is poisonous to the team (move to a different site)

I want to hope he does not get away with this carry on and will leave it to my manager. But the manager did inform me its very difficult with HR to move a guy because of thsi sort of carry on. If after a period of time nothing has been able to be done about it, can I go to HR about this false email and start a grievance? I just dont wan to let him away with this as he is dangerous and could cause future trouble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Yes. If someone is bullying you at work, a formal complaint to HR is absolutely warranted.
    Even better if you have the support of your manager.

Dont trust your manager.

If he is not worried about telling you his plans to "get rid" of your co-worker, god knows what he is saying to him to placate him.

Totally unprofessional carry on.

I'd almost guarantee that if you took this to HR, your boss would deny having said any such thing to you, and you'll find yourself thrown under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd almost guarantee that if you took this to HR, your boss would deny having said any such thing to you, and you'll find yourself thrown under the bus.

Agreed/

And this is why the OP should not go anywhere near HR.

Unless the other guy is actively making things difficult for them directly - not just for the manager. Which was not mentioned in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭thefa

Maybe someone more familiar with the topic can confirm but it’s sounds like it could be seen as a verbal warning which would be tough to take as a diligent worker.

That said, I agree with the last couple of posts. Going to HR could well have the opposite of the desired effect if you’re anyway unsure of the manager and are likely to be underprepared compared to the co-worker. Also, would seem a over the top in my opinion if the complaint is limited to break timings or similar.

I would keep notes on relevant interactions with the manager (or any with the co-worker) in as much detail as you can recall and make sure there’s nothing to complain about (eg. punctuality) - basically keep your powder dry. Imagine it will go away but if it persists and your manager is back onto you, you’ll know where he stands and you’ll be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭CandyButcher

Agreed/

And this is why the OP should not go anywhere near HR.

Unless the other guy is actively making things difficult for them directly - not just for the manager. Which was not mentioned in the post.

Thanks for replies all.

The only thing that’s difficult is knowing he is trying to turn other team members against me behind my back then be nice to my face.

The manager is totally on my side as this guy argues with the manager alot too he is a constant complainer. The manager told me in confidence that this guy has it in for me AND the manager out of jealousy. That the best option for this toxic person would be to move him off the site. Manager told me to sit back an let him try handle it.

My concern is if he can’t handle it that this behaviour might take off again without me even knowing.

I would ask the manager first, can I go to hr about the email he has falsely stating other colleagues have a problem with me. Should nothing come of all this.

Its so hard to bit my tongue knowing what this guy is at he will be coming in trying to ask me for lunch and talk about football next week and I will struggle to speak to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The manager may be playing a game with you too - who knows!

The first thing I would do is try to find out what the other colleagues think about the situation, esp ones who have been there for a long time. This may be a story they've seen play out before.

And also, get used to the fact that every workplace has at least one nasty snake who is charming to your face and tells stuff to management behind your back. Knowing who this person is can be handy, in case you ever need to get management to know about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

Don't go to HR. I'd say HR would be fairly pissed off with the managers actions in all of this and it wouldn't reflect well in him at all. If you put him in that position I doubt he will look too fondly on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your manager should never have forwarded on that email. That’s why they don’t want you to bring it up.

When any complaint is made a manager should be investigating it and not forwarding it on to other employees.

You could go to HR and complain about this other employees behaviour. A question first, do you take extra time on breaks ?? Saying it’s ok because others do isn’t what HR will want to hear so if you are going that route make sure your not just stirring a load of bother for everyone too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod - Closed as OP has a duplicate thread in PI

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement