Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf@310 vs Santry@260k

Options
  • 10-10-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I am a first time buyer and your advice can really help. I am looking to buy a house in Dublin for around 300k but I am confused between buying a house close to city centre vis-à-vis buying something little far. I have few options which may look non comparable but your opinion may give some direction:

1. I am getting a apartment which is old but nicely renovated flat in Clontarf which is build around 1984 but has been nicely done few years back and it is right opposite the sea, priced bit higher then my budget at 310k.

2. There are several options to buy a 2 bed flat in Shanoven Road, Santry or Northwood Avenue, Santry around 8 kms away from city not very far though this is priced at 260k.

3. I go further away and buy a new house in Shackelton Park, Lucan which is a 3 bed terrace house at around 350k.

My doubts are:

A. I am not sure if it is worth to pay 50k extra for Clantarf and the sea view plus the house has better interiors though it is old. This is holding me to buy Clantarf.

B. The new houses in lucan looks good but it might be difficult to rent when I will not live in Ireland as I will want to rent it to a family. This is holding me to buy Lucan.

My state is as below:

My long term plan is to live in the house for approx 5 years and then will either sell or rent the house(depends if I am able to sell). I am not from Ireland and will most likely be moving to my home country. I am paying 2k per month at the moment as rent from last 2.5 years. Please guide me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Hi, I am a first time buyer and your advice can really help. I am looking to buy a house in Dublin for around 300k but I am confused between buying a house close to city centre vis-à-vis buying something little far. I have few options which may look non comparable but your opinion may give some direction:

1. I am getting a apartment which is old but nicely renovated flat in Clontarf which is build around 1984 but has been nicely done few years back and it is right opposite the sea, priced bit higher then my budget at 310k.

2. There are several options to buy a 2 bed flat in Shanoven Road, Santry or Northwood Avenue, Santry around 8 kms away from city not very far though this is priced at 260k.

3. I go further away and buy a new house in Shackelton Park, Lucan which is a 3 bed terrace house at around 350k.

My doubts are:

A. I am not sure if it is worth to pay 50k extra for Clantarf and the sea view plus the house has better interiors though it is old. This is holding me to buy Clantarf.

B. The new houses in lucan looks good but it might be difficult to rent when I will not live in Ireland as I will want to rent it to a family. This is holding me to buy Lucan.

My state is as below:

My long term plan is to live in the house for approx 5 years and then will either sell or rent the house(depends if I am able to sell). I am not from Ireland and will most likely be moving to my home country. I am paying 2k per month at the moment as rent from last 2.5 years. Please guide me.

Obviously you shouldn't take advice from the internet, but if you really want some, clontarf all the way. Its all about location location, especially if you plan to sell in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

No competition clontarf all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dutch.irish

Hi, there are only 2 responses. Can I please get some more views.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Better to have the worst house on the best road rather than....
    the best house on the worst road ....
    Clontarf for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I live in a nice apartment in Northwood, Santry. Beautiful area, gorgeous park right across the road, rarely any anti social issues (some developments are worse that others), plenty of families, probably a high percentage of people living here rent the property. There is easy access to the city centre and close to the airport. I would still choose Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Santry is a nice area and it may increase in price with metro its got shops within walking distance , clontsrf is not as well served however it is a more affluent neighbourhood.
    Northwood is a particularly nice estate too .
    Depends on funding if you don’t want to spend the extra santry is a good area

It's all about location, if you can afford it buy in clontarf.
    It will always be a sought after area.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

Clontarf all day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As a Northside I agree, Clontarf is a lovely place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mjshravan

Sent you a private message

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

Clontarf will hold its value in terms of investment value, but may not meet your needs in terms of living in it for the next 5 years. You need to decide what property will meet your needs I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dutch.irish

mjshravan wrote: »
    Sent you a private message

Did not receive your message?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭DubCount

Clontarf is a lovely area. There is a reason you pay a premium to live there. If I could afford to live in Clontarf, I would do so. Its more expensive, but thats what happens when you have lots of people who like the area and want to live there as well.

I really like Santry as an area, but if I could afford it, I'd buy in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Is that price cheap for Clontarf?I believe we are talking about a two bed flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭DubCount

Is that price cheap for Clontarf?I believe we are talking about a two bed flat.

I would say it was pretty good. I would expect to pay at least 325k for a 2 bed in Clontarf, and that would be nothing special (no sea view etc.).

Here is a nice 2 bed on Castle Avenue for €500k
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/26-danesfort-castle-avenue-clontarf-dublin-3/4449720

Please dont reply about asking price v actual price. I know. My point is just that in my view 310k for a 2 bed in Clontarf with a Sea View is a bargain.

Of course, you need to be cautious that what is called Clontarf in an ad, is actually in Clontarf and not a surrounding area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

DubCount wrote: »
    I would say it was pretty good. I would expect to pay at least 325k for a 2 bed in Clontarf, and that would be nothing special (no sea view etc.).

Here is a nice 2 bed on Castle Avenue for €500k
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/26-danesfort-castle-avenue-clontarf-dublin-3/4449720

Please dont reply about asking price v actual price. I know. My point is just that in my view 310k for a 2 bed in Clontarf with a Sea View is a bargain.

Of course, you need to be cautious that what is called Clontarf in an ad, is actually in Clontarf and not a surrounding area.

Sure. I think its on the coast road east of the pier. Appears to be a lovely location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

You change everything about a property except it’s location
    Clontarf all the way
    I know the property in question
    Once you are aware of the annual maintenance fees then it’s a no brainer
    You will always be able to rent out in Clontarf much easier than in the other areas you mentioned

Advertisement