Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling my car. Company wants to do a bank transfer. CGT

Options
  • 10-10-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I'm selling my car to a company. It's a classic car which has vastly gained in value over the 10 years I have owned it.

Ive been offered a sum of money that I am happy to accept by a very reputable company.

I do have an original receipt saying I paid less than 10k for the car.

Obviously when the money is transferred to my bank account the bank will flag it with revenue.

Having read the revenue website private cars are exempt from CGT. Do I have to apply for an exemption? What's the best course of action here?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ismat

There is no tax due so you don’t need to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rekcaks

When Revenue come knocking on the door do I just explain that I sold my car?!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ismat

That’s exactly what you say ! It’s a wasting asset so it’s not subject to cgt. It’s very unlikely revenue will contact you in any case

Advertisement