Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cows Coughing

Options
  • 10-10-2020 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Going to house and dry off my milkers at the end of the month. A lot of cows coughing. I presume i need to treat for fluke and worms. What is the best product to use ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Monty Man wrote: »
    Going to house and dry off my milkers at the end of the month. A lot of cows coughing. I presume i need to treat for fluke and worms. What is the best product to use ?

Dont rule out ibr and RSV and p13

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Get faecal samples tested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Coworona Virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Monty Man

Good idea. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Exact same issue here. Suckler cows coughing. Took dung samples as part of the beep scheme and all clear for worms and fluke.

This is the first year I noticed this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dung samples aren't the best for lungworms, pick out one or two and get the vet to do a lung flush, could take bloods as well to check for ibr, etc.

Did everything with Eprinex pour on here in Aug. Disappointing to see some still coughing. They are fine otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Did everything with Eprinex pour on here in Aug. Disappointing to see some still coughing. They are fine otherwise

I always found pour ons to be absolutely useless.

Yes I think you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Exact same issue here. Suckler cows coughing. Took dung samples as part of the beep scheme and all clear for worms and fluke.

Just to mention - the standard beep scheme test is rumen and liver fluke but not worms so wouldn’t be included unless you asked for it separately. Had suckler cows coughing here in Aug for first time ever but no cough in calves (who had been dosed already in summer) - putting it down to the warm humid conditions increasing lungworm burden but don’t know after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Just to mention - the standard beep scheme test is rumen and liver fluke but not worms so wouldn’t be included unless you asked for it separately. Had suckler cows coughing here in Aug for first time ever but no cough in calves (who had been dosed already in summer) - putting it down to the warm humid conditions increasing lungworm burden but don’t know after that.

Did you dose the cows? If so what product

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Use a good drench for starters, I’ve that problem with few years . Don’t ever seem to shift it but it could be cow type doesn’t help either
    !
    mine are may have too much Holstein blood and prone to lots of things it’s the joys of too fine a animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Did you dose the cows? If so what product

Did them with a generic ivomec type pour on. Stayed coughing for a while - put it down to clearing out the lungworm - but fine since. Did the calves as well at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Coworona Virus.

Bovid 19?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lungworm won't be caught by standard dung sampling. They exit in dung as larvae rather than eggs and need a different test.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

If symptoms of bovine TB occur, they can include:

fever.

night sweats.

persistent cough.

diarrhoea.

weight loss.

abdominal pain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

I always found pour ons to be absolutely useless.
    They shouldn't be on sale in Ireland, it takes up to 14 days to go through the skin and 1 shower of rain will wash it off.
    Best dose and value for money for stomach and lung worm is a Fenbendazole such as Panacur (or Fenben 10 which is the exact same for half the price)

Advertisement