Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people afford to live in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-10-2020 5:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

On average wages? I'm 22 and will graduate when 26. Most of my friends have jobs at the moment but even then, they say it's a struggle to find accommodation in Ireland which is why many of them are staying with family or working abroad.

I'm worried that I'll never live a decent life in Ireland. Hell, my father who worked for an accounting firm and earned €65,000 couldn't afford living in South Dublin. We had to move after 8 years because the rent was getting to expensive to Meath. I'll probably not get a job that great, so how can I ever hope of living in Dublin?

Many of my teachers in school earned much less than my father as they said (€30,000), yet still afforded to live in decent enough areas of Dublin. How is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

On average wages? I'm 22 and will graduate when 26. Most of my friends have jobs at the moment but even then, they say it's a struggle to find accommodation in Ireland which is why many of them are staying with family or working abroad.

I'm worried that I'll never live a decent life in Ireland. Hell, my father who worked for an accounting firm and earned €65,000 couldn't afford living in South Dublin. We had to move after 8 years because the rent was getting to expensive to Meath. I'll probably not get a job that great, so how can I ever hope of living in Dublin?

Many of my teachers in school earned much less than my father as they said (€30,000), yet still afforded to live in decent enough areas of Dublin. How is this?

Have you ever heard of thing called house sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You could start off by being a bit more optimistic. You seem to have resigned yourelf to a low paying job after graduation in 4 years! And as for living in a decent area! I would like to know where you regard as a decent area. There is more to Dublin than South Dublin and more to Ireland than Dublin
    No one walks out of college and buys a house. You share or rent in accordance with your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I for one don't mind being a kept man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have you ever heard of thing called house sharing?

I just think he's being realistic... could you imagine the living room conversations?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I just think he's being realistic... could you imagine the living room conversations?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Teachers were lying to you for a start, never take their word for granted - especially prior to 2012.

They have a host of allowances and get paid extra for supervising and correcting exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Be part 9f a high imcome couple. Get housing for nithing like 30 plus years ago, get free luxury council housing if you have been on tyhe list over a decade or a week if a sinle motjer with kids prepared to pull a stunt like showing up at a garda station with your kids to spend the night. Knowing rte will sort you out. But yeah most young people now? Fairly screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

salonfire wrote: »
    Teachers were lying to you for a start, never take their word for granted - especially prior to 2012.

They have a host of allowances and get paid extra for supervising and correcting exams.
    Disclaimer: teacher.

Teachers have similar flat rate expenses as a lot of other professions. Are those the allowances you're talking about? You could probably claim them too. Most don't, because they're not aware of them. Including teachers. I do have a Master's allowance. I will allow, that's kind of cushy! It's not even related to teaching, or my teaching subject. :D

The supervision payment isn't much. Many would opt out, but can't. I would, but I can't because it's in my contract.

State exam correction is opt-in. You don't get paid if you don't do it, and you don't do it unless you want to. I never have. Never will. Now you're in a bit of a bind! It's a 'perk', only it isn't. And I don't do it, so I must be underworked!

For added complication, I have corrected exams at Plc level. I got paid for that all right. Not much, but I did. Of course, I had to correct them, or they wouldn't have been corrected. Added added complication: At the time, I didn't actually know I'd be paid to correct them. T'was my first year teaching Plc students. I didn't get paid a penny for designing the module though. Which took far longer than the corrections at the other end. Does it all balance out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Teacher pay scale starts above 30k.

Teacher pay scale goes to 70k.

If a teacher bought in Dublin in 1990, even 1995, it was somewhat affordable.

Advertisement