Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer for kids

Options
  • 10-10-2020 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭

I have a boy who was born on the 1st December 2013. So is 6 now and will be 7 in a few weeks.

I am unsure on the dates for soccer. Would he be classed as under 6, under 7 or under 8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

U8.

His season is 2020-2021 and it finishes in 2021 the formula I 2021 minus 2013 = 8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

Masala wrote: »
    U8.

His season is 2020-2021 and it finishes in 2021 the formula I 2021 minus 2013 = 8

Thank you. So he will probably be one of the youngest. Seems strange that he Is still only 6 and with under 8’s. Especially at this age when even a few months is a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Your club will probably keep him him as U6 as they don’t usually do competitive til u11.

So don’t worry. Ask your coach and he will keep him as 6 with all the other 6s.

When he say 10 yrs old.. he will be playing u11. Being born in December is always unfair as he will be playing with a child born on 01 Jan who probably is 1 good year bigger physically. It all evens out around 14/15 as most kids then as physically the same then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

And this is why I love boards........Post a question and get helpful answer within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

does it not normally go on year of birth? Thats how it is in GAA, and I think how it is in soccer also.

Under 8s doesnt mean he is playing with 8 year olds. It means if is his 7th birthday is in 2020, then he is playing with all the other kids whose 7th birthday is in 2020.

Either way - he will be one of youngest; from a playing point of view that's a disadvantage, although talent and application matters more than age, even at 6.

From a social point of view, much better to be December than January, as will be more kids from his class at the club. The easiest way to get a child to stay in a sports club is if their friends are there also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement