Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stacking September Hay

Options
  • 10-10-2020 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,
    So I had extra grass and made the mistake of making September hay. I have done this with relative success before but this time despite fairly decent weather there was too much grass and not enough drying in it. The driest bales from the middle of the fields and the lighter areas are in and stacked no problem.

I have some bales left in the field from the headlands that will never come in, not sure how to dispose of those, any tips?

I have other bales that are heating slightly and are laid out in the shed and some still in the field. The ones in the field seem to be doing better than the ones in the shed to be honest. I have some bales that feel fine and dry till they are put on end at which point they start to heat :(
    If bales feel moist but not warm, can they be stacked or will this cause heating?
    If bales feel slightly warm but they aren't rotting how much time do I give them before I give up?
    At what point if any can a slightly warm bale be stacked?
    Or should I just write the whole lot off and be thankful that I have enough good hay from a previous cut to get through the season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Wrap em feed them around dec I've done it wint be the best but this could be a long winter so good bales might be needed in march

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Assuming they’re round bales, you could just put em in a corner of the field and see what feeding is in them come December?

There would be a bit of waste around the outside - but could the inside turn into tobacco hay,if it’s heating now?
    Not sure the feed value would be massive, but it’d be ok too... would keep an animal ticking over...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Wrap them.
    We have had hay in the past that wasnt fully fit and started heating.
    Hay wrapped.
    Came out perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

Thanks for the replies. Just to confirm, yes they are round bales.

If I wrap them, do they then need to be used within a certain time-frame once opened like haylage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

Assuming they’re round bales, you could just put em in a corner of the field and see what feeding is in them come December?

There would be a bit of waste around the outside - but could the inside turn into tobacco hay,if it’s heating now?
    Not sure the feed value would be massive, but it’d be ok too... would keep an animal ticking over...

I would do this. If possible put pallets under them and put in a sheltered corner of the yard. Or else put in a dry hardcore area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Better off not stacked if you are leaving them out. If you have the space to leave them scattered around singly then the rain runs off them better

Advertisement