Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second shower advice

Options
  • 09-10-2020 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We've just gutted our ensuite. Up until now there have been 2 electric showers - one also in the main bathroom. I was thinking about replacing the electric shower in the ensuite with a pumped shower connected to the cylinder. The house is a bungalow and we have a huge HW cylinder that the previous owner installed for a jacuzzi bath.

I also need to add a radiator to the ensuite. The quotes I've got on installing a pumped shower and a rad are approx €1700 as the pump alone is €600. Not sure what to do now as that is way more than i was expecting. I assume it will be less than half that to just install a rad and get a new electric shower.

At the minute we have huge amounts of hot water throughout the winter months as the heating and water is in the one zone (next job is to get that sorted).

Any advice on how to proceed? I still think in an ideal world we'd have one pumped shower and one electric but it is v pricy!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Very hard to talk about the price for labour without seeing the layout of the house.

To me the ultimate shower is something like a rain head bar mixer with rain head connected to a 3 bar brass body pump. Pump & good quality mixer is around 1000 plus labour. There are cheaper options though. Triton novel SR or Mira vigour thermostatic have built in pumps. You can buy these for under 300 euros. That's a saving of 700 compared to the dedicated pump and mixer set up. 3 bar pump can put out 20 litres per minute where the novel or vigour put out 14 litres per minute. 14 litres is a lot more than the 3 to 4 5 litres your electric shower puts out.

3 bar pump is best option if your finances can stretch but the novel or vigour provide a respectable shower preference if you want to save 700. Ask your plumber to quote for one of these. Triton novel being the better of the two & around the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Very hard to talk about the price for labour without seeing the layout of the house.

To me the ultimate shower is something like a rain head bar mixer with rain head connected to a 3 bar brass body pump. Pump & good quality mixer is around 1000 plus labour. There are cheaper options though. Triton novel SR or Mira vigour thermostatic have built in pumps. You can buy these for under 300 euros. That's a saving of 700 compared to the dedicated pump and mixer set up. 3 bar pump can put out 20 litres per minute where the novel or vigour put out 14 litres per minute. 14 litres is a lot more than the 3 to 4 5 litres your electric shower puts out.

3 bar pump is best option if your finances can stretch but the novel or vigour provide a respectable shower preference if you want to save 700. Ask your plumber to quote for one of these. Triton novel being the better of the two & around the same price

Thanks will have a look at those. It is a 2 bar pump I’ve been quoted for im sure.

Advertisement