Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to learn plumbing, gas boiling service?

Options
  • 09-10-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

Do you know if there is any courses to become RGI? Any recommended books?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Kaldo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Do you know if there is any courses to become RGI? Any recommended books?

Thanks

I think you need to become a plumber first. Some of the RGI lads on here will know for sure.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wearb wrote:
    I think you need to become a plumber first. Some of the RGI lads on here will know for sure.

They have really tightened up on it in the last few years. As far as I remember it's qualified plumbers and Electrician's are entitled to do the courses to become RGI. I'm not sure if other trades like engineers can apply

Gas engineer is not a recognised trade you have to qualify in another trade as mentioned then do your GID, which is a similar Syllabus as my 4 year gas apprenticeship but only takes 12 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They have really tightened up on it in the last few years. As far as I remember it's qualified plumbers and Electrician's are entitled to do the courses to become RGI. I'm not sure if other trades like engineers can apply

I thought that taxi drivers could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

ted1 wrote: »
    I thought that taxi drivers could do it

Up until relatively recently, anybody could join the register once they had undertaken an approved GID training course (circa 2 weeks). Now it’s a general requirement that an applicant have a plumbing, electrical or refrigeration apprenticeship completed with very limited exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Up until relatively recently, anybody could join the register once they had undertaken an approved GID training course (circa 2 weeks). Now it’s a general requirement that an applicant have a plumbing, electrical or refrigeration apprenticeship completed with very limited exception.

So if a plumber was also a Taxi driver then Ted would be correct. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    So if a plumber was also a Taxi driver then Ted would be correct. :)

Only if they’re from Cork ;)

Advertisement