Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm Walks

Options
  • 09-10-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Have the ifa given the all clear for farm walks with the ongoing pandemic because i know of one happening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

homingbird wrote: »
    Have the ifa given the all clear for farm walks with the ongoing pandemic because i know of one happening.

To explain myself better this is where group of farmers walk another farmers farm as this is different from hill walks .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Max of 15 ppl in a group I think is ok outside.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

To explain myself better this is where group of farmers walk another farmers farm as this is different from hill walks .

Discussion groups can meet up on a host farm but social distancing must be complied with. No indoor discussions are allowed though so stay away from the sheds.

If the county goes to level 4, all meetings will be virtual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There’s also “personal responsibility” if you turn up somewhere, anywhere that proper rules aren’t being followed and aren’t being facilitated then just walk away.

Isnt there usually a IFA Rep on these walks they should be seeing to procedure & in level 3 lockdown you are not suppose to leave your county who is checking on this we will never get rid of this covid if this continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

What makes you think it's an IFA walk. It would be most unusual. Most farm walks are discussion group based.

In any case, it is perfectly in order, for up to 15 people conduct a meeting outside under the current restrictions.

It is also in order to cross county bounds for work purposes which discussion group meetings are.

Properly conducted, these meeting will pose zero risk to the spread of covid.

Isnt there usually a IFA Rep on these walks they should be seeing to procedure & in level 3 lockdown you are not suppose to leave your county who is checking on this we will never get rid of this covid if this continues.

The discussion group meetings are organised by facilitator's, normally Teagasc, private Ag consultants or other farming organisations like the Farmers Journal.

The organisations and their representatives are cleared to carry out the designated activities and all certified to run them in compliance with the prevailing Covid19 restrictions.

In all honesty, a group of 15 farmers, socially distanced and masked in the middle of a field have an extremely low risk of transmitting Covid19 compared to, say, a school or a shop.

There really is nothing to see here.

The discussion group meetings are organised by facilitator's, normally Teagasc, private Ag consultants or other farming organisations like the Farmers Journal.

The organisations and their representatives are cleared to carry out the designated activities and all certified to run them in compliance with the prevailing Covid19 restrictions.

In all honesty, a group of 15 farmers, socially distanced and masked in the middle of a field have an extremely low risk of transmitting Covid19 compared to, say, a school or a shop.

There really is nothing to see here.

I was told that on this farm there was at least 30 farmers most arriving four to a car.

I was told that on this farm there was at least 30 farmers most arriving four to a car.

Two things there.
    I was told

The old saying, don't believe half of what you see and less of what you hear is worth bearing in mind here.

And I am having some difficulty seeing a group of 30 farmers meeting up for a discussion group meeting. Now, maybe there were a few large farms involved where there would be a number of workers there and maybe there was a joint meeting of discussion groups, which would be the first I've heard of since last year, btw.

Any farmer going to a DG meeting will tell you it's hard to get as far as 10 showing up, even in DGs with more than 20 members. We went on an excursion outside our own farms last month to a different farm to see how he was managing his rotations and growth. We had 8 turn up, only 2 in a single car and they were father and son. That's out of a group of 15, 10 who would be at every meeting.

The only other option would be the production and presentation staff showing up for one of the cancelled open days who were arranging and filming the event virtually. But they wouldn't be farmers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Any walk that I've ever been at, it would be very rare that you'd see people carpooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Interesting....you should try to find out some more about it..any jeeps or all cars? Did they go indoors or walk the fields. Was this in Limerick by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

alps wrote: »
    Interesting....you should try to find out some more about it..any jeeps or all cars? Did they go indoors or walk the fields. Was this in Limerick by any chance?

As they say "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing "

Those that were at it on here know where i am talking about that is all i am saying they have no regard for the rest of us .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Those that were at it on here know where i am talking about that is all i am saying they have no regard for the rest of us .

Must've been in the valley of the squinting windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

OP you clearly have an issue with this alleged walk that you have second hand information about and no real proof of anything. If you want to report the people involved go ahead. You have given very little information other than that you believe that people on this forum were at it. That's not too far from an actual accusation....

The only walks I had heard of were for farming for nature organised my NOTS, but attendance at those walks was limited. I know this because I tried to get a ticket for one myself but they were all sold out.

If there something your not telling us, please elaborate...

There is good & bad in every walk of life good farmers that do the right thing & then there is the rest of ye i do know more but i am not saying to protect those.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

“the rest of ye”
    😂😂😂😂😂

Sounds like a load of auld jealous gossip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

There is good & bad in every walk of life good farmers that do the right thing & then there is the rest of ye i do know more but i am not saying to protect those.

So what were you hoping to achieve in this thread?

I think you’re just trolling to be honest...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

So what were you hoping to achieve in this thread?

I think you’re just trolling to be honest...

Mod note; On that note we're closing it down.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement