Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House inspection

Options
  • 09-10-2020 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Are others having the rentals inspected by letting agents now that the whole country is at level 3 restrictions?
    I'm not comfortable with someone coming into my apartment that has probably been to 50 other properties in the last week!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In fairness they are entitled to inspect the property so as long as they are wearing masks/gloves etc there shouldnt be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Are others having the rentals inspected by letting agents now that the whole country is at level 3 restrictions?
    I'm not comfortable with someone coming into my apartment that has probably been to 50 other properties in the last week!

Sure aren't you high risk because of that illness you have? And aren't you not allowed visitors

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They wouldn’t be inspecting 50 properties a week.
    More like 1 or 2 a day at most.

Arrange a suitable time.
    Ensure adequate PPE (mask and hand wash).

I don’t see an idea less you are genuinely at high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gumbo wrote: »
    They wouldn’t be inspecting 50 properties a week.
    More like 1 or 2 a day at most.

Arrange a suitable time.
    Ensure adequate PPE (mask and hand wash).

I don’t see an idea less you are genuinely at high risk.

Surely it is for the people visiting to cover? If there is any risk at a time when we are asked not to enter others' houses?

Surely too inspections should be halted until this is over? There is no urgency and yes there is risk.

My dr called once and SHE was wearing full PPE; gown and all.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Surely it is for the people visiting to cover? If there is any risk at a time when we are asked not to enter others' houses?

Surely too inspections should be halted until this is over? There is no urgency and yes there is risk.

My dr called once and SHE was wearing full PPE; gown and all.

When I say ensure, I mean the op has their mask on and the inspector arrives with their PPE on.

Inspections are ongoing. Id bring my own PPE to the sites I’m inspecting.
    Life has to go on through this “pandemic”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

When I say ensure, I mean the op has their mask on and the inspector arrives with their PPE on.

Inspections are ongoing. I. Ring my own PPE to the sites I’m inspecting.

Are you inspecting people’s homes or commercial premises?

Of course life has to go on but it is certainly not business as usual. Our government has decided it’s not safe for us to eat or drink in restaurants or bars at the moment, they have deemed the current situation serious enough to tell us not to leave our counties. There is not a hope in hell I’d let a random house inspection take place at the moment.

Landlord’s and management companies have the right to inspect their properties for sure but they need to adapt to the current situation and find alternatives to physical inspections.

cant26 wrote: »
    Are you inspecting people’s homes or commercial premises?

Of course life has to go on but it is certainly not business as usual. Our government has decided it’s not safe for us to eat or drink in restaurants or bars at the moment, they have deemed the current situation serious enough to tell us not to leave our counties. There is not a hope in hell I’d let a random house inspection take place at the moment.

Landlord’s and management companies have the right to inspect their properties for sure but they need to adapt to the current situation and find alternatives to physical inspections.
    Visitors are allowed into your home from one other household only - to a maximum of six people

No rules being broken with some inspector entering your home.
    Common sense means you can keep distance and if someone is genuine at risk then that I’m sure the OP can rearrange.

But plumbers, electricians, painters etc are all entreating homes currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Common sense means you can keep distance and if someone is genuine at risk then that I’m sure the OP can rearrange.

Plumbers, painters and electricians are not going into every room of the property!

I think there should be an option of an alternative without having to come across as being difficult or non compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I think its fairly safe to say this is a pandemic and not a "pandemic"..

Regardless - OP - I would ask what their process is and ask that they make sure they stick to it.

Ventilate the rental as much as possible (open windows and create air movement), wear your own mask and assuming its going to be only a few mins it should be fine. Give the place a wipe down after (i.e. cover any surfaces touched, taps etc).

Not rules but guidelines and common sense. And consideration. There is no way this should be happening unless an emergency eg a flood. Routine things can wait. Small wonder the virus is out of control.

How can you keep distance ? Painting ?

• Advertisement

adding here that as I am cocooned I am safe from such invasions but I am horrified that this is going on in our current -emergency, Deeply concerned at the irresponsibility.

And were I not cocooned my door would stay closed.

Using inverted commas says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Visitors are allowed into your home from one other household only - to a maximum of six people
    I'd interpret that to mean all are in agreement with the visit. The visitor should be local / known / trusted.

A landlord/agent might be trusted or not, depending. It's a business relationship.
    If a tenant wants to limit contacts (taking gov't advice) the tenant should have that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Probably as well is you're not supposed to be around anyone over 60 if you have been around someone else in the last two weeks. Is OP going to have to give up on seeing their parents or grandparents to accommodate an unnecessary inspection.

Plumbers, painters and electricians are not going into every room of the property!

I think there should be an option of an alternative without having to come across as being difficult or non compliant.

How will the house get painted if they don’t enter the room?

eleventh wrote: »
    I'd interpret that to mean all are in agreement with the visit. The visitor should be local / known / trusted.

A landlord/agent might be trusted or not, depending. It's a business relationship.
    If a tenant wants to limit contacts (taking gov't advice) the tenant should have that right.

If the tenant has a need to cocoon and they have been staying home then that’s a different story and I’d respect that of course. But if the tenant/op has been out shopping,,viewing houses to buy like their other threads, then I don’t thing they use the rules to keep people out of their rental while bending the rules to view properties for sale.

If the tenant has a need to cocoon and they have been staying home then that’s a different story and I’d respect that of course. But if the tenant/op has been out shopping,,viewing houses to buy like their other threads, then I don’t thing they use the rules to keep people out of their rental while bending the rules to view properties for sale.

Letting someone into your personal living space is not the same. It really isn't.

Come on now!

And "their rental "? Our safe place, our home. There is no comparison with your other examples. All the more vital when they have been out on essential business and provisioning.

And surely any incomers need our permission to enter at a time suited to us?

Or not.

We have to tighten up on all this. They are not wilfully "keeping people out of their rentals" but protecting their homes and their health and impeding the spread of covid-19

These are times like no other and we need to respect that. And protect. And landlords need to respect that too

There is no urgency about painting. There is about keeping safe, and keeping safe is what the rules are about now.

And I for one am deeply grateful for all those who do respect the needs that covid-19 imposes and respect others.

And I write as a council tenant.

How will the house get painted if they don’t enter the room?

lol.. It is not a matter or any urgency whereas all measures to curb the spread of covid-19 are

It can wait. They can paint the outsides. Or we can do it as even I do!

Letting someone into your personal living space is not the same. It really isn't.

Come on now!

And "their rental "? Our safe place, our home. There is no comparison with your other examples. All the more vital when they have been out on essential business and provisioning.

And surely any incomers need our permission to enter at a time suited to us?

Or not.

We have to tighten up on all this. They are not wilfully "keeping people out of their rentals" but protecting their homes and their health and impeding the spread of covid-19

These are times like no other and we need to respect that. And protect. And landlords need to respect that too

There is no urgency about painting. There is about keeping safe, and keeping safe is what the rules are about now.

And I for one am deeply grateful for all those who do respect the needs that covid-19 imposes and respect others.

And I write as a council tenant.

So one rule for the OP and another for others.
    It’s ok for him/her to go into other peoples homes to view them but they disagree for others to come into theirs.

Fair enough.
    I understand where yis are coming from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Fair enough.

I don't think you do - or you seem to be misinterpreting things deliberately?

Inspection (general) probably not essential (unless there is some dispute or ongoing issue), but I see no need for it not to go ahead if all necessary precautions are taken.

Except in the case where the tenant is someone that a vulnerable person depends upon - in that case I wouldn't be asking any tenant to take any unnecessary risks (and similarly, I wouldn't expect they were out in public doing as they please).

EDIT - Just seen your reply that negates the unnecessary risk clause... fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Our letting agency were understanding of the fact that we were high risk and agreed to forego the usual inspections during this year.

That said, we were also evicted, so clearly they weren't that sympathetic. The homeowners needed their place back next year so we legged it. The situation we're in now is about x100 more favourable than when we were dealing with the agency.

The rental trap is sick. You shouldn't be obliged to let anyone into your home right now.

• Advertisement

So one rule for the OP and another for others.
    It’s ok for him/her to go into other peoples homes to view them but they disagree for others to come into theirs.

Fair enough.

???? what is this about?

Old saying; two wrongs do not make a right? And yes both are wrong. If that is what is happening. Same rule but !!!!!!

If a house seller chooses to let someone in?

This is about uninvited inspections and workmen.

Anyways! My gate is padlocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Electricians will frequently be in all rooms in spite of the scamdemic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Electricians will frequently be in all rooms in spite of the scamdemic.

Conspiracy theory forum is below this one in the list, you appear to have got lost on the way. Do not post like that again

???? what is this about?

Old saying; two wrongs do not make a right? And yes both are wrong. If that is what is happening. Same rule but !!!!!!

If a house seller chooses to let someone in?

This is about uninvited inspections and workmen.

Anyways! My gate is padlocked!

The OP is giving out about an inspection but yet has other threads where they’ve viewed properties and asking about deposits so that’s one rule for them and one rule for others.

Your case is fair enough. Old age/underlying health issues etc. these have to be respected which I said in my first post.

But during this “Pamdemic”, other inspections are still taking place.
    NCT for your car is still ongoing. Should this be stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,690 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GarIT wrote: »
    Probably as well is you're not supposed to be around anyone over 60 if you have been around someone else in the last two weeks.

Where did that some from?

Visits are one of people from one house hold only. I've seen nothing limiting them to once a fortnight. And when did 60 become the age-cutoff?

The OP is giving out about an inspection but yet has other threads where they’ve viewed properties and asking about deposits so that’s one rule for them and one rule for others.

Your case is fair enough. Old age/underlying health issues etc. these have to be respected which I said in my first post.

I know you are arguing for the sake of it now. As you are not taking covid-19 seriously your reasonings are flawed anyways.

Permission is needed to enter a home- period. Agreed times. If at all. Consideration is needed at this unusual time. Inspections are superfluous. And unsafe and inconsiderate .

The comparison with getting a car tested!! roflol...

Not that I have a car. A kind person has one for me, what we call an "island car" but the rules have prevented it getting here. The kind person got fined trying to get it to me. I can wait. Over here there is no NCT anyways! :)Come to think of it no house inspections either... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Point me to the thread that I've viewed a property?
    I've asked about where I should keep my deposit for quick access. If I was viewing I'd have already moved it from the demand account.

I've reported your post but as you're the mid I can't see any happening for attacking a poster! You're too close to this and need a few days of a break for the forum. Sure I'll be banned now for backseat modding lol

I know you are arguing for the sake of it now. As you are not taking covid-19 seriously your reasonings are flawed anyways.

Permission is needed to enter a home- period. Agreed times. If at all. Consideration is needed at this unusual time. Inspections are superfluous. And unsafe and inconsiderate .

The comparison with getting a car tested!! roflol...

Not that I have a car. A kind person has one for me, what we call an "island car" but the rules have prevented it getting here. The kind person got fined trying to get it to me. I can wait. Over here there is no NCT anyways! :)Come to think of it no house inspections either... ;)

Your a fringe case.
    You have a bee in your bonnet because I don’t agree with you. I can assure you this “pandemic” is being taken seriously from my perspective. Do you think I want to take it home to my family, friends etc?

Nobody once said anything about unlawful entering a home. Of course both parties have to be in agreement. I don’t see the issue here as it doesn’t effect you. These inspections can be of vital importance. CO leaks, Fire alarm inspections, window opening size inspections. God forbid the inspection was cancelled and then something happened to the occupant. You’d have the same people on here blaming the state for not inspecting and insuring houses and apartments are up to standard.

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t seems to be the moto.

The car test is just one example. DOE testing is still
    Going ahead, school bus testing still happens everyday, I see painters, Tiler’s, plumbers enter homes every day. Precautions and common sense will prevail to let life go on and get back to normal hopefully as this “pandemic” is a nuisance to society.

Point me to the thread that I've viewed a property?
    I've asked about where I should keep my deposit for quick access. If I was viewing I'd have already moved it from the demand account.

I've reported your post but as you're the mid I can't see any happening for attacking a poster! You're too close to this and need a few days of a break for the forum. Sure I'll be banned now for backseat modding lol

That’s no problem. I’m not a mod when I’m posting in a thread. And it would be a big conflict if o was to attempt to mod a thread I was posting in, that doesn’t happen around here.

No poster was attacked in the making of these posts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Nobody should have to let anybody enter their home while there is a pandemic going on. It's a huge inconvenience and potential danger. Ask if they'll do it over zoom.

Advertisement