Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which New Estate Houses are Bought by Councils?

Options
  • 08-10-2020 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Of the mandatory 10% allocated for social housing is there a policy or pattern which houses are purchased?

I've read opinions here that councils prefer not to cluster them together in an estate.

Do councils generally try to target the least expensive or smallest houses to miminise expense, or buy a range of sizes to mix up the profile of social housing tenants in the same estate?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is no real policy on placement, but they will generally be the cheapest houses.

The council and developer will agree in advance which houses will be social, and those houses will likely be built to a lower spec to keep costs down. Since the council don't pay market rate the developer is not likely to give up the prime houses in the prime locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

If your looking at a specific development I think the probably sub-contracted crew doing the final fittings will know as AFAIK council will have different fittings to the private sale houses - things like flooring.
    I imagine the developer themselves won't tell you though.

Edit: haven't heard they are lower spec though just different and more fittings

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Spec wise, you can tell straight away by the internal doors.
    There are developments where the council got whole blocks of apartments, grace park for example, I don’t think they got any of the houses, so 3 small blocks of apartments were the part 5 allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

On Daft I see new estates being exclusively sold through estate agents.

So if you were to see their list of houses available in a currently released phase you could assume these are for the open market and not the pre-agreed units designated for councils?

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IamMe33 wrote: »
    On Daft I see new estates being exclusively sold through estate agents.

So if you were to see their list of houses available in a currently released phase you could assume these are for the open market and not the pre-agreed units designated for councils?

Correct, the social houses are not sold by the estate agents, they are never listed for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

They bought an entire cluster in the greater development I live in. Broke their own housing policy

Advertisement