Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubiquiti Dream Machine

Options
  • 08-10-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I recently purchased a Ubiquiti Dream Machine as it looks like an absolute beast of a Router.

I have not set it up yet and its still in its sealed box but I am just wondering is there any of you guys who are using this with your Virgin Media Super Hub in modem mode? Was it difficult to setup?

The more I read about the dream machine, the more I think its serious overkill for my needs and way too complex for me.

I am really torn on whether or not to keep it or not.

I have just listed it on adverts but may keep it, I really don't know.

Would love to hear from any of you guys who have it working, particularly if you are using it with Virgin media

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I have it working with SIRO so it replaced my standard router. It is a beast and overkill for most situations, definitely prosumer. However, it is remarkably easy to setup so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.

What I would say is that it has solved any Internet issues I had. The AP on top is decent enough to cover my house and I can easily add in more APs around the house if I needed more. I find it very reliable and it is has good app too which you can use to check traffic and view internet connections etc. I work from home now and I really can't afford to have a poor internet connection and to be constantly restarting my router in the hope that it will fix my Internet. In that regard I can easily justify it to myself. I don't worry about my internet connections any more and i don't restart my router anymore.

Why did you buy it in the first place? What problem were you trying to solve?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I have it working with SIRO so it replaced my standard router. It is a beast and overkill for most situations, definitely prosumer. However, it is remarkably easy to setup so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.

What I would say is that it has solved any Internet issues I had. The AP on top is decent enough to cover my house and I can easily add in more APs around the house if I needed more. I find it very reliable and it is has good app too which you can use to check traffic and view internet connections etc. I work from home now and I really can't afford to have a poor internet connection and to be constantly restarting my router in the hope that it will fix my Internet. In that regard I can easily justify it to myself. I don't worry about my internet connections any more and i don't restart my router anymore.

Why did you buy it in the first place? What problem were you trying to solve?

Thanks for your reply.

I bought it to expand my wifi coverage (currently using an archer c7)

The sheer number of options available in the dream machine is intimidating :)

I really just jumped the gun buying it I think.

Opinions on the dream machine are very mixed, some say its an incredible piece of kit and some say its very buggy.

I had my eye on the Asus RT-AX88u but went with the dream machine instead.

I was going to get the Archer c7 before I too jumped the gun and went with the UDM. I think the archer would have done the job for me and been a good reliable router too. I'm not sure if you can expand it though.

If you want to extend the coverage you can easily add extra APs to the UDM, it is incredibly easy and it really is just plug and play. Mind you each AP will cost you another 100 euro or so, so it can all add up pretty quickly. I imagine that you used some of the more advanced features it would be buggy and they bring out new updates regularly enough. I think that they if you are just using the standard features then it will be reliably enough for you.

That Asus is pretty good too, I would be happy with that too. In some respects the asus might be a better option if you don't want to get more APs...

I feel like I'm trying to sell the UDM but i'm not. It suits me but even at that, I know it is overkill. If you can sell it and get a decent price for it then maybe go with one of the others but if you decide not too, I think you will be fine with that decision too. If I was you I would like to know if you could replace the VM router with the UDM so you don't have two routers..

if you have any specific questions or if you would like me to check any settings, feel free to ask away, Happy to answer.

I was going to get the Archer c7 before I too jumped the gun and went with the UDM. I think the archer would have done the job for me and been a good reliable router too. I'm not sure if you can expand it though.

If you want to extend the coverage you can easily add extra APs to the UDM, it is incredibly easy and it really is just plug and play. Mind you each AP will cost you another 100 euro or so, so it can all add up pretty quickly. I imagine that you used some of the more advanced features it would be buggy and they bring out new updates regularly enough. I think that they if you are just using the standard features then it will be reliably enough for you.

That Asus is pretty good too, I would be happy with that too. In some respects the asus might be a better option if you don't want to get more APs...

I feel like I'm trying to sell the UDM but i'm not. It suits me but even at that, I know it is overkill. If you can sell it and get a decent price for it then maybe go with one of the others but if you decide not too, I think you will be fine with that decision too. If I was you I would like to know if you could replace the VM router with the UDM so you don't have two routers..

if you have any specific questions or if you would like me to check any settings, feel free to ask away, Happy to answer.

Hey thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.

Unfortunately i cant get rid of the virgin media router, i have to keep it and put it in modem mode. This is what I do currently with my archer C7.

I bought the archer c7 for €20 on adverts 3 years ago and its been rock solid, best €20 I ever spent.

The reason for a new router is just to extend the wifi range as I have a deadspot in the kitchen.

Thanks for the offer of checking your settings, I may well take you up on that if I keep it.

Id rather keep it than accept a ridiculous offer on adverts

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Hi I’m just wondering if you decided to keep the dream machine? I had one when they first came out but it was very buggy, I’m thinking of going back to it or the pro version in the hope it’s better now. I currently have the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000 and that’s a bit over kill for my house as well.

Hey thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.

Unfortunately i cant get rid of the virgin media router, i have to keep it and put it in modem mode. This is what I do currently with my archer C7.

I bought the archer c7 for €20 on adverts 3 years ago and its been rock solid, best €20 I ever spent.

The reason for a new router is just to extend the wifi range as I have a deadspot in the kitchen.

Thanks for the offer of checking your settings, I may well take you up on that if I keep it.

Id rather keep it than accept a ridiculous offer on adverts

Thanks again

• Advertisement

gramo wrote: »
    Hi I’m just wondering if you decided to keep the dream machine? I had one when they first came out but it was very buggy, I’m thinking of going back to it or the pro version in the hope it’s better now. I currently have the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000 and that’s a bit over kill for my house as well.

Hey

I never setup the dream machine

Its still listed on adverts.

If it doesnt sell, i will set it up.

If you go back to your dream machine, please post your findings such as if you think its still buggy

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Would you take 250 for it? I could collect it on Friday. I’m working in cork all week so not back till then.
    Hey

I never setup the dream machine

Its still listed on adverts.

If it doesnt sell, i will set it up.

If you go back to your dream machine, please post your findings such as if you think its still buggy

Cheers

gramo wrote: »
    Would you take 250 for it? I could collect it on Friday. I’m working in cork all week so not back till then.

Sent you a pm gramo

Yes, easy. I made a post about it here before if I can find it again I'll link it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058082665

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

So glad I found this thread. Im looking at the UDM for my house to help with coverage issues.
    How would it compare to the Eir Fibre router?

• Advertisement

Range wise, I didn't really notice a massive difference. What was noticeable is that the signal doesn't drop any more so I get a more consistent connection now. I just leave it in the corner and it works, what is also useful is that you can add in an extra AP if you need it. It's all very easy to expand and manage really. I don't regret buying it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Range wise, I didn't really notice a massive difference. What was noticeable is that the signal doesn't drop any more so I get a more consistent connection now. I just leave it in the corner and it works, what is also useful is that you can add in an extra AP if you need it. It's all very easy to expand and manage really. I don't regret buying it at all.

So to extend the range, what would you suggest? Running cable to an AP would be an issue for me. Are there any good range extenders?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Did you buy direct from the Ubiquiti store? Seems to be the cheapest I can find, free shipping too.

Yes, I did. It seemed to be the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

So to extend the range, what would you suggest? Running cable to an AP would be an issue for me. Are there any good range extenders?

If you have an Eir F3000 router - Eir have just launched their own Mesh Access Points to work in tandem with it. You can add as many as you require to cover your home seamlessly. I haven't used them - but the spec seems excellent. €99 for one, €170 for two.

https://www.eir.ie/smartwifi/

Advertisement