Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manitou boom rams removal

Options
  • 08-10-2020 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

My old faithful manitou MT 425 needs work done on the rams that lift the boom. I have everything ready for the pins that hold the rams to be removed. We have been unable to get the pins to shift with a sledge hammer etc. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

My old faithful manitou MT 425 needs work done on the rams that lift the boom. I have everything ready for the pins that hold the rams to be removed. We have been unable to get the pins to shift with a sledge hammer etc. Any suggestions??

I have seen a guy using a large air impact gun pushed up against the pin. It moved it but not sure how stuck it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

They're a cooler.
    Need a duck egg and wheeta ex good heavy sledge.
    If you could get a portapower and heat might help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just wondering are the pins bent? Might have to wriggle them as someone else hits them. Any pics?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

Pins seem perfectly straight, rams move slightly from side to side so it must be seized to the spacers and bush at the outside. Will get pictures later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Pins seem perfectly straight, rams move slightly from side to side so it must be seized to the spacers and bush at the outside. Will get pictures later

Spin the pins 180 degrees.

• Advertisement

Spin the pins 180 degrees.
    The pins are seized solid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

The pins are seized solid!

If beating sideways wont shift it, it's either rusted or worn a lip over time. Turning pins will either release them or move them to even up the wear and let them move.
    Weld something onto the end if things get desperate.

Got sorted. Had to weld on a 30mm high tensile threaded bar to the end of the pin to make a puller with a slieve over it. Still took a 26lb sledge to move it as well as the puller!

Advertisement