Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing my TV/Soundbar for Dolby Atmos

Options
  • 07-10-2020 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently purchased a Samsung Q80t TV and Hw-q70t soundbar. While the TV foes not support Atmos the soundbar does. The 2 are connected via their respective eARC HDMI ports.
    I had understood that the likes of Netflix had Atmos content and if Netflix detected an Atmos setup it would make that audio available. However, I have not been able to trigger any atmos content thus far.
    I downloaded an Atmos test file (.mkv) to a USB drive. On playing this the telly just says the audio format is not supported and plays the video in silence. I had thought it would have just passed it straight though to the sound bar.
    Are my expectations wrong. How can I satisfy myself that my setup is correct for Atmos content?
    I don't have a blueray player.
    Regards
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joficeduns1

I'd expect you've found an answer to this since, but my understanding is that your TV is sending the signal to your soundbar through eARC. If your TV does not support Atmos then it cannot decode the signal to pass it through.

Your best bet is to use an Atmos capable media device (e.g. an Nvidia shield) directly into the soundbar, rather than the TV. This will passthrough the Atmos signal to your speakers, and the video signal through eARC back to your TV. In general, a device like a Shield will be much better than using the built-in smart TV apps.

Advertisement