Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Monoxide alarm positioning

Options
  • 07-10-2020 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently fitted wood burning stove and the fitters recommended fitting carbon monoxide alarm. It’s in the front room of the house. I have a carbon monoxide alarm in landing. Should I put in second one in the room with the stove? If so where should I position it? Also best on wall or ceiling? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d put one in the room just in case.
    They recommend you put it at head height (which isn’t that high in a sitting room) and not on the ceiling as you’d have a smoke alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d put one in the room just in case.
    They recommend you put it at head height (which isn’t that high in a sitting room) and not on the ceiling as you’d have a smoke alarm.

Thank you. Would it be best to mount on the wall opposite the stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Whodafunk; It'd be entirely possible for emissions to knock ye out and kill ye, in ye living room. Happened plenty of times before. Whole families have 'Dozed Off', completely unaware of the invisible, odourless death creeping up on them.

Absolutely put one in there. I have my present one at face height, when I'm sat in this chair ~ which is 90% of my waking hours. Then, I go and crash on my futon, about three foot below the alarm.

Done this for years, now. Had enough triggers (Obviously, the alarms are made to go off at the very Least) I'm still here :)

Top Tip: If ye room alarm becomes a PITA? Good! It's telling ye to check ye flue and ventilation! Do It!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

whodafunk wrote: »
    Thank you. Would it be best to mount on the wall opposite the stove?

Mine is. Always has been. Dunno why. They usually come with siting instructions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CO is slightly lighter than air but diffuses well, so positioning isn't critical as far as I know.

I recently switched to Nest Protect alarms all over the house and shed and find them fantastic. They detect both smoke and CO, and have a "pathway" function which turns on a nightlight as you pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

On the wall away from the windows about a foot away from the ceiling and other wall

Opposite wall to stove will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fit in bedroom at height you are laying down in the bed at.
    Same as mentioned in sitting room, you will see in instructions not to fit right beside doors or windows and it's better to be away from these as reading could be thrown off

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

All CMA’s will come with full installation instructions

Advertisement