Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding that draught

Options
  • 07-10-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Ok so bought a bungalow that was G rated on BER in 2012 and for the last few years while living in it we have done a number of improvements to improve it. Attic insolation , triple glazing whole house, central heating. We have one major extension plan for next year to convert the attic making the house double in size. Pp approved already.
    The last few days however as its getting colder we're noticing a draught but have done nothing this year so baffled as to were its coming from and where we are loosing heat from.
    Short of getting a BER assessor in, anyone recommend what I can do to find where the gaps are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Check around your skirting boards -I had a similar problem some years ago. A badly installed wall vent and gaps between the slabs and floor, meant a breeze was blowing through the bottoms of the skirting boards. Might not be this but worth a look. Carefully bring a lit candle and see what happens the flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Open chimney / s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

sidcon wrote: »
    Ok so bought a bungalow that was G rated on BER in 2012 and for the last few years while living in it we have done a number of improvements to improve it. Attic insolation , triple glazing whole house, central heating. We have one major extension plan for next year to convert the attic making the house double in size. Pp approved already.
    The last few days however as its getting colder we're noticing a draught but have done nothing this year so baffled as to were its coming from and where we are loosing heat from.
    Short of getting a BER assessor in, anyone recommend what I can do to find where the gaps are?

Probably not diy but may pay dividends when you do your conversion would be to have the house tested for airtightness / heat loss in general*. This will
    1. determine exactly where your air leaks are now, but more importantly
    2. educate you on the whole concept of air tight construction which will have ramifications for your attic conversion.

*Note this is a completely different kettle of fish than a ber assessment, so don't confuse the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

listermint wrote: »
    Open chimney / s ?

No fully fitted stove fire so sealed once door is closed.

wait4me wrote: »
    Check around your skirting boards -I had a similar problem some years ago. A badly installed wall vent and gaps between the slabs and floor, meant a breeze was blowing through the bottoms of the skirting boards. Might not be this but worth a look. Carefully bring a lit candle and see what happens the flame.

Thanks, how did you find out it was around the skirting. Or is it as you say literally a lit candle.

• Advertisement

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Probably not diy but may pay dividends when you do your conversion would be to have the house tested for airtightness / heat loss in general*. This will
    1. determine exactly where your air leaks are now, but more importantly
    2. educate you on the whole concept of air tight construction which will have ramifications for your attic conversion.

*Note this is a completely different kettle of fish than a ber assessment, so don't confuse the two.

Cheers, with 2, is this condensation concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Cheers, with 2, is this condensation concerns?

Yes, absolutely, so appropriate ventilation required. All this is part of the education process.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No fully fitted stove fire so sealed once door is closed.
    Where does it draw air from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Thanks, how did you find out it was around the skirting. Or is it as you say literally a lit candle.

It was the breeze! We had some dampness in the room and went to investigate. We made the vent better (there was no pipe running from inside to outside, just vent openings on both inside and outside walls); sealed it much better around the pipe and then sealed the gap between the "short" slabs and the floor. Haven't had a problem since, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭prochida

Had draughts coming through gaps in reclaimed timber floor and skirting.

Used a stretchy neoprene filler called Draughtex.

Have full roll leftover up on adverts

https://www.adverts.ie/other-diy-renovation/floorboard-gap-draught-filler-draghtex-10m-x-10-mm-gaps-2-7mm/21896637

Incense sticks are a good indicator of draughts instead of a candle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement