Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating rads v stand-alone electric rads

Options
  • 07-10-2020 7:23pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Long story short - live in a 4 bed bungalow with large unused attic space, already floored and plastered. Has a stira stairs up to it at the moment. We're planning on getting a proper stairs up from the hall, and making two rooms up there (office use mainly) with a landing in between the rooms.

Just wondering what are peoples' thoughts on installing central heating rads to run off existing gas boiler versus installing stand alone electric rads? The electric rads would seem less hassle to me, and modern rads seem to have improved a lot, yet one guy we have had in so far to quote for the work seems to think the central heating rads would be better.

Anyone any thoughts on this? I'd insist on the upstairs being zoned if going off the central heating - we currently have 2 heating zones in the house (living area and bedrooms) as well as the water heating zone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Your 1st thoughts should be to reduce the requirement for heating in the first place. And I'm not just talking bout insulation here. Air tightness up there will be your biggest challenge. Don't let anyone near the job unless they are fully competent to do this.
    After that, go with a 3rd heating zone off your ch with a good controller.

Advertisement