Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freehub is slipping (Shimano 105 10 speed road)

Options
  • 07-10-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

When the freehub starts slipping, is it usually a replacement job or is a strip/lubricate job worth anything?
    There seems to be a myriad of options on some of the sites, and I was surprised that it will cost north of €60. Is there a simple selection? Is a salvage piece silly?

The bike is a Giant Defy. The hub has about 50000 km on it, its been through a few cassettes. I've recently bought the Aldi toolkit and am anxious to start messing with things!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

Hi, you say Shimano 105 10 speed for the cassette, what brand or model is the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

The wheel is a Shimano R500.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

If you have a casette removal tool and a chain whip it is an easy enough task to carefully remove the freehub body without losing pawls and springs (youtube) clean and lubricate. But at 50000 km on the wheel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

ninoon wrote: »
    . But at 50000 km on the wheel!!!

Ye, I am more surprised the r500s rims are holding up.. I guess mine were around that when one day the wheel just collapsed under me!

(Edit, in fairness the wheel had been buckled and straightened a few time with Dublin commuting..)

With that mileage i'd be also looking the rims for wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Roadtoad wrote: »
    When the freehub starts slipping, is it usually a replacement job or is a strip/lubricate job worth anything?
    There seems to be a myriad of options on some of the sites, and I was surprised that it will cost north of €60. Is there a simple selection? Is a salvage piece silly?

The bike is a Giant Defy. The hub has about 50000 km on it, its been through a few cassettes. I've recently bought the Aldi toolkit and am anxious to start messing with things!

New wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

ted1 wrote: »
    New wheel.

agree - in fairness at that millage - any repair you manage to make is probably going to be messy, time consuming and quite temporary anyway.

The myriad of options you mention - a new rear wheel at that level will probably be around 60 anyway. A basic wheelset would be ~100 (The front won't wear as fast, but probably not far off it).

For example:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-rs100-road-clincher-wheelset/rp-prod184427

Not the best, but similar- enough (I think) to the old R500

• Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Roadtoad wrote: »

New wheel.

Advertisement