Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimate for plumbing works

Options
  • 07-10-2020 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone could give a ballpark figure for some work I need doing.

I have 3 contractors coming to price up and just looking for guidance on what price to expect.

The boiler has packed in. It's nearly 20 years old and after a couple of repairs over the years I've decided to just go with a new one.

I'm also going to replace 7 radiators in the house as they are really old and unsightly.

I'm also getting the electric shower replaced as it's on its last legs.

The radiators I've picked are coming in at approx 800 and the shower 240.

I haven't picked a boiler out. I'd rather the contractors advised me on that.

Just looking for a rough estimate.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You’re already confusing things by supplying materials yourself and it’ll cost you more. Customers always think they’re being clever buying the materials themselves but it’s actually dearer.
    You need to be clearer what you’re supplying and what works you need done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Dtp1979 wrote:
    You’re already confusing things by supplying materials yourself and it’ll cost you more. Customers always think they’re being clever buying the materials themselves but it’s actually dearer. You need to be clearer what you’re supplying and what works you need done.

Sorry, ive just picked out radiators and a shower but havent bought anything yet.

What im looking to be done is:

Gas Boiler removed and replaced.
    7 Radiators removed and replaced
    Electric shower removed and replaced.

Sorry, ive just picked out radiators and a shower but havent bought anything yet.

What im looking to be done is:

Gas Boiler removed and replaced.
    7 Radiators removed and replaced
    Electric shower removed and replaced.

Ok, the RGI will be supplying the gas boiler. So, for a powerflush, not chemical flush or cleanse or whatever it’s called, new boiler, magnetic filter, to fit 7 rads assuming you got exactly the correct sizes, and fit electric shower you’d be looking at roughly 3 - 3.5K. That’s also assuming the gas boiler change is standard enough.

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Ok, the RGI will be supplying the gas boiler. So, for a powerflush, not chemical flush or cleanse or whatever it’s called, new boiler, magnetic filter, to fit 7 rads assuming you got exactly the correct sizes, and fit electric shower you’d be looking at roughly 3 - 3.5K. That’s also assuming the gas boiler change is standard enough.

Would that include labour?

Would that include labour?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Tbh the cheapest I'd be doing that work for is €4000, even at that it's a cheap job for the work

wilser wrote: »
    Tbh the cheapest I'd be doing that work for is €4000, even at that it's a cheap job for the work

Including supplying the shower and rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Including supplying the shower and rads?

Yes, the way I read the op that was to supply the rads and shower. Rereading it im not sure who's getting the rads and shower

wilser wrote:
    Yes, the way I read the op that was to supply the rads and shower. Rereading it im not sure who's getting the rads and shower

Sorry for the confusion.

I only picked out the rads and shower but I will want the contractor to supply them.

Cheers.

Sorry for the confusion.

I only picked out the rads and shower but I will want the contractor to supply them.

Cheers.

Oh, then yea, at least 4K

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Oh, then yea, at least 4K

Just one more question.

Would that include the 13.5% vat.

Thanks for your help.

Just one more question.

Would that include the 13.5% vat.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

I have 3 contractors coming to price up...

Do you mind me asking how many of these showed up?

I've been trying to get quotes in for a large job - new boiler, new oil line to existing tank (existing one isn't fireproof) and internal work on hotpress and rads. From the five people I've spoken to only one has got back to me with anything practical.

Did you just ring around, or use something like tradesman or bark?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

niallb wrote:

No excuse for not showing up. It is difficult to get heating plumbers at this time of the year though. Everyone is turning on the heating and some are finding it's not working properly. You would have had a better chance if you were looking for the work done during the summer.

niallb wrote: »

I've been trying to get quotes in for a large job - new boiler, new oil line to existing tank (existing one isn't fireproof) and internal work on hotpress and rads. From the five people I've spoken to only one has got back to me with anything practical.

Did you just ring around, or use something like tradesman or bark?

Current oil line isn’t fireproof???? What’s your current oil line made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Had a big job done in September. New boiler, new hot water cylinder, electrics (presumbably for pump or something haven't a clue). Boiler had to be moved to a new site so floorboards up and new piping etc. 3.7k incl VAT. They replaced everything as they found it and used an industrial vacuum to clean up. You'd never think they were there.

Local gas supply company here in Dublin. Took 1.5 days and the workers were like ferrets, worked so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Had a big job done in September. New boiler, new hot water cylinder, electrics (presumbably for pump or something haven't a clue). Boiler had to be moved to a new site so floorboards up and new piping etc. 3.7k incl VAT. They replaced everything as they found it and used an industrial vacuum to clean up. You'd never think they were there.

Local gas supply company here in Dublin. Took 1.5 days and the workers were like ferrets, worked so hard.

Only reasonable to give their name. It's hard to find good people and sounds like these lads deserve more business.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Rodin wrote: »
    Only reasonable to give their name. It's hard to find good people and sounds like these lads deserve more business.
    MOD NOTE: Please do not publish their name here. PM only.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Current oil line isn’t fireproof???? What’s your current oil line made of?

hydrodare...

Sorry OP - didn't mean to derail your thread.
    Just curious when you said you'd got three who agreed to come and quote!

niallb wrote:
    Sorry OP - didn't mean to derail your thread. Just curious when you said you'd got three who agreed to come and quote!

No problem.

I had 2 of the three come. Both were in excess of 5 and a half.

I'm mulling it over but I might leave the rads as is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement