Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A2W vs electric radiators

Options
  • 07-10-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi. We bought new house. It's over 300m2, part of house is big open plan (previously it was a pub but we want to add 2 rooms, kitchen and living room). House was build in 1920. Part of house is stone with very thick walls, rest is extension. We decided to do insulation inside, but we have problem to choose heating system. Now is central oil. We were thinking to go with A2W pump, but our plumber (also friend), recommended to go with new electric radiators with thermostats. He calculated that running cost will be the same, but se save a lot on pump, pipes and new radiators.

Does anyone have experience with those new electric radiators? Or better to go with A2W?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Latro

What is so special about "the new electric radiators"? Snake oil.

All you really need to control them is a thermostat and a timer. These are on every, even the cheapest electric radiators on the market.

I understand he talks about internet controlled ones. While this function sounds nice it is nearly useless in big thermal inertia dwellings like your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭headtheball14

A2w is unlikely to provide enough heat in an old building without massive renovations and well insulated house . Are you gutting the house first. Electric radiators will not be cheaper than oil or gas, electric heating is the most expensive heating option around. What is the problem with oil? I would live with that for moment and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gabbi_d

Thank for replies. I was thinking the same that electric radiators will be expensive to run. He said he installed them in few houses, including his own, and they are not that expensive.
    We want to do full renovation and insulation. The problem is we need to replace all radiators, new pipes (all run on walls, and in part of house we have very old electric radiators).

I was thinking to replace all radiators, new pipes, underfloor heating in living rooms and kitchen and leave oil for now. He told me that oil heating will be banned in 10 years, so then we can just install A2W pump.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gabbi_d wrote: »
    Thank for replies. I was thinking the same that electric radiators will be expensive to run. He said he installed them in few houses, including his own, and they are not that expensive.
    We want to do full renovation and insulation. The problem is we need to replace all radiators, new pipes (all run on walls, and in part of house we have very old electric radiators).

I was thinking to replace all radiators, new pipes, underfloor heating in living rooms and kitchen and leave oil for now. He told me that oil heating will be banned in 10 years, so then we can just install A2W pump.

Competely pointless installing a A2W heat pump in a drafty poorly insulated house.

Your starting point should be to reduce your heat energy demand as much as possible by insulation, air tightness measures and cold bridge measures.

If you reduce this demand down to as low as you can, then it makes the decision on the fuel source much easier

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Competely pointless installing a A2W heat pump in a drafty poorly insulated house.

Your starting point should be to reduce your heat energy demand as much as possible by insulation, air tightness measures and cold bridge measures.

If you reduce this demand down to as low as you can, then it makes the decision on the fuel source much easier

Thank for reply. We want to do full renovation, insulation, roof, floors, air tightness. All windows are new, so at least this we don't have to do.
    The point is, we need to decide what will be best heating system. We have very small tank. Part of house has oil heating, part old electric radiators. We must replace all (in few rooms we have many pipes on walls).
    So I was thinking new radiators, piping, in living room and kitchen underfloor heating (about 100m2 - this was a pub previously, so we want to add there kitchen and living room). I'm just not sure if after all renovation will be better to get bigger tank or wait and buy A2W pump or is there maybe another option for heating an old house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Get quotes and options from 3 other plumbers ( not friends) .
    Get a definite plan of what you want and what is achievable in your property from people experienced in retrofit of old houses with modern heating systems.
    It is a big investment and a job that needs planning and research to allow you to make an informed decision.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I would suggest talking to an architect and seeing what is feasible. Start by asking what it would take to turn the building into an A3 ber. Perhaps a B rating will be more feasible but you need to start somewhere.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Wearb wrote: »
    I would suggest talking to an architect and seeing what is feasible. Start by asking what it would take to turn the building into an A3 ber. Perhaps a B rating will be more feasible but you need to start somewhere.

This is good advice. The project you are doing will cost a lot whatever way you do it, and it is critical that you maximise the value. You need proper advice on this.

We do not know what your building is really like or how you plan to insulate it, but the advice you have received seems rather simplistic. Putting in electric radiators would certainly be cheap up-front, but it might be very expensive indeed over the longer term.

Thanks for all replies.
    I think that's the best solutions, to find someone who could come to house, check it and advise best insulation and heating system.
    Does anyone know someone from Munster area (house in Co. Waterford) who could help us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

pm sent

• Advertisement
Advertisement