Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood cut to size in Dublin

Options
  • 07-10-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to make my own desk for an alcove thats up in the attic.

Most desks I can find are 100cm in length, but the alcove is 92cm x 71cm.
    I'm looking to buy a worktop or similar piece of wood (laminate is fine!) that measures 90x60 cm and just put some IKEA legs on it myself.

Could anyone advise on where would be best to buy something like the above? Preferably cut to size with edging strips.

Or would I just be better off buying THIS and cutting to size myself?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The problem with buying that and cutting it yourself is the laminate finish is likely to chip along the cut edge.

92 x 71 is pretty small, what about buying some plywood and painting and protecting it yourself? Could make it any colour you want then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

awec wrote: »
    The problem with buying that and cutting it yourself is the laminate finish is likely to chip along the cut edge.

92 x 71 is pretty small, what about buying some plywood and painting and protecting it yourself? Could make it any colour you want then.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, it does come with edging strips but even at the if it was chipped at the top of the cut edge. I do know people with circular saws/table saws which might give it a better chance at not chipping?

Yeah the size isint ideal, its simply for one monitor and nothing more, on my current desk setup I only use up about 95cm of desk space.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I was thinking, it does come with edging strips but even at the if it was chipped at the top of the cut edge. I do know people with circular saws/table saws which might give it a better chance at not chipping?

Yeah the size isint ideal, its simply for one monitor and nothing more, on my current desk setup I only use up about 95cm of desk space.

I think it'd still chip tbh, particularly if it's someone with no experience cutting that stuff, it's a known nuisance to cut.

Personally if it were me I'd make my own top out of ply.

Woodworkers in Terenure will cut to size.
    I think its 2e a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

As mentioned above Woodworkers will cut to size but if you are going to use laminate you will have the same problem with chipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'm looking to make my own desk for an alcove thats up in the attic.

Most desks I can find are 100cm in length, but the alcove is 92cm x 71cm.
    I'm looking to buy a worktop or similar piece of wood (laminate is fine!) that measures 90x60 cm and just put some IKEA legs on it myself.

Could anyone advise on where would be best to buy something like the above? Preferably cut to size with edging strips.

Or would I just be better off buying THIS and cutting to size myself?

It can be hard to cut without chipping the finish, I used a metal blade in a hacksaw and masking tape and got it 99% perfect.
    Silicon where it meets the wall and it looks fine.

I think it'd still chip tbh, particularly if it's someone with no experience cutting that stuff, it's a known nuisance to cut.

Personally if it were me I'd make my own top out of ply.
    Ply wouldnt give the greatest finish tho would it? I know chipped laminate wont look great either, but that side is going up against a wall anyway.

The Mulk wrote: »
    It can be hard to cut without chipping the finish, I used a metal blade in a hacksaw and masking tape and got it 99% perfect.
    Silicon where it meets the wall and it looks fine.
    Looking online its saying that cutting it upside down and using masking tape can help prevent chipping.

Do IKEA cut to size does anyone know?

Ply wouldnt give the greatest finish tho would it? I know chipped laminate wont look great either, but that side is going up against a wall anyway.

Looking online its saying that cutting it upside down and using masking tape can help prevent chipping.

Do IKEA cut to size does anyone know?

If you use a nice ply like birch ply it'll give a nice finish.

If it's going against a wall then you could hide any chips in your laminate with some caulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

IBS in Dun Laoighre will also cut to size

I usually get my ply or MDF cut to size in B and Q in Liffey Valley.

I put an attic hatch in my garage the weekend and got an attic hatch door for €2. all in. A piece of 18mm ply and the guy cut it for nothing.

It was an off cut in the off cut section, there was plenty of different sizes, not sure you'll get the size you need though.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thanks for the info all. I'll post in here what I end up doing in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ted1 wrote: »
    IBS in Dun Laoighre will also cut to size

Do they have decent toilets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Moisture resistant MDF cut to size and painted will look great and a lot cheaper than the ikea one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ply wouldnt give the greatest finish tho would it?

Use birch plywood and then sand and oil it. You can use an oil with a stain if you want to change the colour. Plywood can look really great when finished well.

seannash wrote: »
    Moisture resistant MDF cut to size and painted will look great and a lot cheaper than the ikea one

He'd need to edge it with something, MDF edges get banged up and turn fluffy pretty easy.

Birch Ply is the thing to go for if he goes for sheet material IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

The Mulk wrote: »
    I usually get my ply or MDF cut to size in B and Q in Liffey Valley.

Is the cutting guy only there certain times.. I have looked offpeak and never got him..

G-Man wrote: »
    Is the cutting guy only there certain times.. I have looked offpeak and never got him..

I was there Sunday morning and he was there, I've had to ask a few times and they've gotten someone for me.
    Some of their stores don't have a working saw though.
    I think they were waiting on blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Larry's DIY is probably the most famous on Dublin's Northside for wood cutting.

https://www.larrysdiy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

G-Man wrote: »

The one in Tallaght cuts as well. There should be several people there that are trained to use the saw. Just make sure to check the cuts. I've seen someone use the saw once in Tallaght who made a mess of about 2 sheets of mdf as he didn't seem to be able to measure correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

.....MDF edges get banged up and turn fluffy pretty easy. .

As we are in DIY section and not woodworkers - here are more ideas.

Have plain MDF (35mm thick) shelves and desks here for 20 years unfaced and only the paint chipped from them. They were polybonded and got two coats of paint.

If you must buy full sheet of plywood and are going to edge it, sometimes I buy thin sheet - say 6mm and then glue and screw them together to make up the width for toughness. Good edging - get a trim in HW store will tidy up the faces.

IF you really want to reduce the cost - look at the IKEA LINNMON panel - 100x60 for 8eur.. add some legs.. There is a solid piece of about 75mm on each end, so you could trim that to size and hid it under a bead on the wall, you cant trim much off the sides or anyhwere else as its a very cheap sandwich construction.. These panels are tough enough for wrriting and laptop desks etc, however a monitor arm or tougher work is probably going to find their limits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement