Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Cistern very slow to fill -

Options
  • 07-10-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Moved in to a new place and the upstairs toilet is painfully slow to fill after a flush.

Looks like this:

https://freeimage.host/i/2ScSkB
    https://freeimage.host/i/2ScUmP

There is a slow constant trickle for maybe 10+ mins before it stops.

Can anyone advise what I could try to resolve it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

You need a new siphon, I got a new one installed after a leak and it was much faster and quieter.
    The whole unit sits in a replaces the ballcock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

TheW1zard wrote: »
    You need a new siphon, I got a new one installed after a leak and it was much faster and quieter.
    The whole unit sits in a replaces the ballcock.

Are they hard to fit yourself? I have the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Are they hard to fit yourself? I have the same problem

The last time I went near the toilet with a spanner I ended up calling an emergency plumber!
    Id say theyre easy enough if your handy at DIY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

It could be limescale building up slowing down water flow to fill the cistern again

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

Its not the siphon causing that its the fill valve/ballcock, I would reckon there is a bit of dirt blocking it either at the top part where the nut is or else there might be a filter at the connection to the fill valve which is blocked,

If your anyway handy then turn off the water to the toilet and disconnect the supply under the cistern and check for a filter, if that end is ok then dismantle the fill valve itself and check for dirt or just replace the valve with like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I had this problem before: it was a small rubber washer that needed to be replaces. Costs a euro or so, I'd say. I had to call out a plumber because I didn't know what was wrong, but he told me it's an easy fix and showed me. He said that over time, the washers becomes hard and that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

fatbhoy wrote: »
    I had this problem before: it was a small rubber washer that needed to be replaces. Costs a euro or so, I'd say. I had to call out a plumber because I didn't know what was wrong, but he told me it's an easy fix and showed me. He said that over time, the washers becomes hard and that's the problem.

Something like this:

Maybe you need something as cheap as this.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I'm wrong: I didn't look at the OP photographs before answering, so disregard what I've said :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement