Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipper blade sharpening

Options
  • 07-10-2020 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Getting close to that time of year when we'll be housing and clipping cattle. I've a lot of blunt blades from over the years which I'm looking to get sharpened. Local sheep shearer can only sharpen sheep blades.
    Anyone know anybody in Munster offering a sharpening service??
    TIA...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    Getting close to that time of year when we'll be housing and clipping cattle. I've a lot of blunt blades from over the years which I'm looking to get sharpened. Local sheep shearer can only sharpen sheep blades.
    TIA...

Atkins in Cork are good at it. I think it's Denis Shiels that does it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    TIA...

I thought the sharpening process was the same for all blades ?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭leoch

How many shoukd a new blade do....i git new clippers and only clipped about 24 cattke backs and tails and need sharpening already.......alsp my blade seems to be more for clipping show cattle its very fine iykwim.....would a couarser blade be better and shave them closer to the skin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

leoch wrote: »
    How many shoukd a new blade do....i git new clippers and only clipped about 24 cattke backs and tails and need sharpening already.......alsp my blade seems to be more for clipping show cattle its very fine iykwim.....would a couarser blade be better and shave them closer to the skin

I'm using dagging blades for sheep and find they have a much tighter and cleaner cut compared to the cattle blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I'm using dagging blades for sheep and find they have a much tighter and cleaner cut compared to the cattle blades.

same as that

used to buy on line from China, usually a cutter and comb cost about €10-€12 delivered, but harder to get them now since Covid , cutters available on Irish sites from €4 up wards

dagging sheep, cow's tails a few times during the year, backs and tails of cattle at housing , keep tension right, correct speed, and oil on and you get fair milage from a set . even the cheap chinese ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

orm0nd wrote: »
    same as that

used to buy on line from China, usually a cutter and comb cost about €10-€12 delivered, but harder to get them now since Covid , cutters available on Irish sites from €4 up wards

dagging sheep, cow's tails a few times during the year, backs and tails of cattle at housing , keep tension right, correct speed, and oil on and you get fair milage from a set . even the cheap chinese ones.

I'd agree with you there. They last a longer. Regarding edging blades I know Mullinahone Co Op edge blades. Whether that's too far away for you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭leoch

Wojld u get more than a couple of dozen cattle out of a new blade .....i thought it would last longer..... maybe i haven't it set up right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Jb1989

leoch wrote: »
    Wojld u get more than a couple of dozen cattle out of a new blade .....i thought it would last longer..... maybe i haven't it set up right

Make sure to run a drop of oil after you clip every animal and make sure your going right direction with grain of hair. Both helps blades last

Advertisement