Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The meaning of the word “flex”

• 07-10-2020 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I’m international student in Ireland. I’m asking about the meaning of the word “flex”. I know that It has two meaning. 1. Bend. 2. showing off. Do you guys use second meaning of flex frequently? and Could someone not know about second meaning??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi I’m international student in Ireland. I’m asking about the meaning of the word “flex”. I know that It has two meaning. 1. Bend. 2. showing off. Do you guys use second meaning of flex frequently? and Could someone not know about second meaning??

Flex your muscles is kinda showing off your muscles but I can't see it meaning showing off in any other context. I'd say stick with bend.

It also has a meaning in business to describe adaptability 'the team can flex in response to these changes'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes we use the second meaning a lot. Its possible an older person might not know the second meaning.

But it doesn't just mean to gloat. It can ALSO mean to put up a fake front. Or to show off when you really have nothing to show off about.

We say it like this.

To flex on someone. Or what a flex. Subtle flex there guys.

I bought a new car and decided to flex on my neighbors.

Flexible though can mean to be bendy physically. someone who does gymnastics or yoga. Or it can mean someone who can adapt to a situation or who has a flexible mindset. It can mean you are flexible in negotiations.

Where do you want to eat?

I'm flexible enough. (wherever I dont mind).

For a business deal . Is that your final offer or are you flexible?

It means also to put up a fake front.

He's just flexing because its a mid life crisis. Meaning he is gloating but he has no right to.

Also to flex a muscle can mean more than just to bend. It means to force the muscle. Like in a bodybuilding pose.

flexing%20muscles%20god%20change%20brain.jpg

It implies something more forceful than bending your arm. You are working the muscle harder.

To flex a rod or wire etc means just to bend it. But to flex your arm implies something more forceful than just bending your arm. If someone says flex your arms or muscle it implies more force.

Also some wire can be called a flex because it is bendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Flex your muscles is kinda showing off your muscles but I can't see it meaning showing off in any other context. I'd say stick with bend.

It's a pretty common slang for "to show off".

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/flex?s=t
    FLEX [ fleks ]
    verb(used with object)
    1. to bend, as a part of the body:
      He flexed his arms to show off his muscles.
    2. to tighten (a muscle) by contraction.

verb (used without object)
    3. to bend.
    4. Slang. to boast or brag; show off:
      In his rap lyrics he flexes about his fancy lifestyle.

noun
    5. the act of flexing.
    6. Slang. a boast or brag:
      It's not a flex, but we have the best burgers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liahughes

How long I could not find the correct meaning of the word є, in some cases, when you need to apply it in an write my essay, I just replaced it, because there is so much incorrect information on the Internet, for example:

Flex is a slang term for a lifestyle popular with today's youth, to show off and flaunt your values.

Now I also understand the essence of this word, thanks to the forum participants for the accessible explanation. 

Post edited by liahughes on

Advertisement