Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning permission / qualification on title

Options
  • 06-10-2020 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

i am currently in the middle of buying a house, the solicitor has noted that the driveway which was built 4 years ago by the current owner does not have planning permission. the owner has suggested building a fence to reverse the driveway (as retention will be very lengthy) my broker says the bank should accept this. however my solicitor says that a qualification on title will still be needed. which will be costly and cause delay. has anyone seen a situation like this before? is it likely the bank would accept the fence as a solution? thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

missjennyd wrote: »
    i am currently in the middle of buying a house, the solicitor has noted that the driveway which was built 4 years ago by the current owner does not have planning permission. the owner has suggested building a fence to reverse the driveway (as retention will be very lengthy) my broker says the bank should accept this. however my solicitor says that a qualification on title will still be needed. which will be costly and cause delay. has anyone seen a situation like this before? is it likely the bank would accept the fence as a solution? thanks!

Follow your solicitor's advice, he knows the situation better than any random opinion from the internet. And you are paying him to protect your interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I regularly hear of qualifications on title but never that it is a costly procedure (letter from Solicitor to Lender) and it is up to the lender to accept and approve it. Only disadvantage I'm aware of is it may take a few weeks. Would it not be in your interest for the vendor to apply for Retention which should take approx. 3 months.

Perhaps you should ask your Solicitor the additional cost for qualification of title and request that the vendor will pay the cost as currently it is his problem.

missjennyd wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2 missjennyd

Hi Trish56 thanks for your comment, i dont think the seller wants to take the Retention route. That's a good idea to suggest the cost goes to the vendor - I'm a bit hesitant to move forward with it with the additional fees if it is something that the bank could still reject so just wanted to see if anyone else has perspective. thanks again.

Advertisement