Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much meal to cull cows

Options
  • 06-10-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I have red lim r grade cull cows in the shed they are on 12kg of 37% maize finishing ration per day. They are around 750kg they will take another 4-6 weeks to finish. Should I feed them ad-lib they will take more no problem at all or should keep them on 12 kg. I am feeding them straw also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

cacs wrote: »
    I have red lim r grade cull cows in the shed they are on 12kg of 37% maize finishing ration per day. They are around 750kg they will take another 4-6 weeks to finish. Should I feed them ad-lib they will take more no problem at all or should keep them on 12 kg. I am feeding them straw also.

Thats alot of meal for cull cows!! Ceetainly would'nt be feeding any more. At €250 per tonne its costing €3 /head /day meal alone to feed them its hard to see the return there. Normally we feed 8 kgs rolled barley finishes them no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Thats alot of meal for cull cows!! Ceetainly would'nt be feeding any more. At €250 per tonne its costing €3 /head /day meal alone to feed them its hard to see the return there. Normally we feed 8 kgs rolled barley finishes them no bother
    I want them out the gap by 1 of November. Tight on shed space. Usually house around then

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I would say around 750 kg per head will finish them start to finish. Yea it’s hard to see the return on it. But every year not fleshed culls drop off in mart in September. I hate getting bad money for good cattle usually they leave me 100-150 after feed costs versus selling them without flesh.

Advertisement