Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Gas Valve - Stove Installation

Options
  • 06-10-2020 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hello,

Looking for a bit of urgent advice. House is 18 years old, living here 2. There's a standard open fireplace which was never once lit by the previous owners.

We are due to get an insert stove installed in the next day or so, it just occurred to me do we need to get anything done with the valve in the attached pic? Husband reckons it's an empty valve should a gas fire ever be installed in the future (it wasn't). Its on the wall to the left of the fireplace, about a foot away.

Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If its capped like shown and is 1ft away from fire and if its a standard fire place its probably behind the breast of the chimney and not in front of the fire you dont have to do anything.

Personally though if you never plan on using it i wouldnt be happy leaving it in-situ sticking out like that as the risk of damage is too high. A child could step on it , or something dropped could damage it possibly resulting in a gas leak.

For the install of you stove i dont think you need to take action. But if it was myself i wouldnt leave it sticking out so prominently and would get an RGI to cap it a bit tidier and safer.

Are you 100% sure its gas, as i have never previously seen someone leave a redundant gas pipe sticking out from the wall like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

More likely to be a heating pipe potentially? I am not a plumber but I too would be amazed if a live gas pipe was left like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

Hello,

Thanks a million for your replies.

It is on the wall to the left of the chimney breast and not on the chimney breast itself.

I have two young boys so that is a very wise point about removing it for safety purposes.

Advertisement