Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the X-files series inspired by the Bob Lazar story?

Options
  • 06-10-2020 6:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Was looking for a decent popular science type series - since Breaking Bad culminated the landscape has been bleak.

Decided to look back in time and, whilst much of the camera work etc is very dated, the X-files is kind of interdasting in its own 1990's era way.

The primary theme of each episode pretty much relates to flying saucers in some way or other.

As in, they'll be dealing with a mysterious disappearance, and the episode will finish with crop circles alluding to flying saucers.

Or they're investigating an unknown illness, and it turns out it was brought to earth by aliens etc.

From what I understand, general weird dude, manufacturer of homemade fireworks and one time brothel owner, Bob Lazar - basically initiated that entire media circus around flying saucers.

He saw an opportunity and took it, no harm no foul.

My query being, is that contention correct?

Even the terms, "flying saucers" and "Area 51", would they be modern iconicism without Lazar?

And presumably that hysteria is the primary theme basis for the science fiction series, "The X-files".

AmIRite??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Don't know, but hasn't Bob suggested that some of this technology that's is being studied in A51/A51b was actually discovered on earth and may have been on earth for 1,000's of years

Graham Hancock has some interesting thoughs on ancient civilizations and how in precise many of their structures are to line up with certain aspects of the cosmos...Look up Göbekli Tepe, its mental reading, it's like something out of Stargate

Whatever about your theory OP, the X-Files creator has given much credit to Kolchak: The Nightstalker as his main inspiration for the show.

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question, but I can't let this moment pass to impart some trivia from my 'X-Files freak' years. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OP,

A lot of the episodes were fairly random and not connected to the long running central plot of aliens, abductions and cover ups, but a lot of episodes were one offs.

Read this book back in the day. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/468534.The_X_Files

If you can get your hands on it (there was two volumes of it, I think) it explains a lot of the inspirations for the show from true stories and urban legends that they based the one off episodes on and then took them a step (or two) further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sure wasn't the structure of the series... Something like below

Monster Story
    Monster Story
    Central Arc Story
    Monster Story

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

X files was and is probably thd best show on tv.

yes i was an xphile back in the day and rewatched alot of the earlier seasons 2 years ago.

same goes for twinpeaks :)

what was the one with john noble and spock and the parallel universe? that was alrite

• Advertisement

1990sman wrote: »
    X files was and is probably thd best show on tv.

yes i was an xphile back in the day and rewatched alot of the earlier seasons 2 years ago.

same goes for twinpeaks :)

what was the one with john noble and spock and the parallel universe? that was alrite

Fringe. I must actually go back and finish watching it. I've seen good things said about it.
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Sure wasn't the structure of the series... Something like below

Monster Story
    Monster Story
    Central Arc Story
    Monster Story

Yep, pretty much.

Each season would generally open and end with arc episodes. You'd also get a mythology 2 parter in the middle of some seasons. In a 24 episode season, there were generally at least 18 monster episodes.

I loved the main arc episodes, but sometime soon after the first movie, the mythology/arc went way off the rails, getting very convoluted and self-contradictory.

I'll always love the X-Files, but it stayed around way longer than it should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

Fringe. I must actually go back and finish watching it. I've seen good things said about it.

Yep, pretty much.

Each season would generally open and end with arc episodes. You'd also get a mythology 2 parter in the middle of some seasons. In a 24 episode season, there were generally at least 18 monster episodes.

I loved the main arc episodes, but sometime soon after the first movie, the mythology/arc went way off the rails, getting very convoluted and self-contradictory.

I'll always love the X-Files, but it stayed around way longer than it should have.

Dr Dana Scully, perfect woman, my first love :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bob's not a real engineer. Another self publicist because there's stuff to sell.

I'm just starting into season 10 at the minute..
    A lot of it really stands up still.. if they just stuck to the drama and avoided the almost piss take episodes it might have been better..
    A lot of stuff was kind of referencing actual reported events I think.. earlier on anyway..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Bob's not a real engineer. Another self publicist because there's stuff to sell.

But he went to caltech and MIT and made the car with the fire out the back - plus he makes homemade fireworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I always felt it was more of an easily digestible for the masses copy of Twin Peaks, much in the same way Friends was of Seinfeld.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

If you need a good show on the level of Breaking Bad you should check out Fargo or Better call Saul if you havent seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

If you need a good show on the level of Breaking Bad you should check out Fargo or Better call Saul if you havent seen it.

Just be wary of season 3 of Fargo. Still decent but not at the level of the previous installments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

What I like about X-files (vs Twin Peaks as mentioned), is it basically references popular and in many ways, cutting edge scientific topics as a base for its themes.

I don't know if twin peaks does this (never saw it)?

Breaking bad kind of did, which made it enjoyable/watchable.

Apart from the occasional mention of "warp drive" (a purely hypothetical concept), I'd question whether Star Trek does also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The X-Files was great but one thing I hated about it was the background music. It plays almost nonstop and at times is loud enough to drown out the dialogue.
    I only noticed it when I rewatched a few episodes.

Jesus.. the two later seasons..10 and 11.. that they did a few years ago were fairly poor..

Should have left them..

Advertisement