Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Classic import from New Zealand

  • 06-10-2020 11:31am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    Hi all, very close to purchasing a 1989 classic car in New Zealand and importing back to Ireland.
    Has anybody done it recently? What specific documents do I need to get from the owner in NZ to register here?
    I'm aware of VAT, duty, VRT etc. but just want to be sure I get the correct documents from him so I can register it smoothly.
    Thanks in advance.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    Did it about 4 years ago but it should come with the registration document. That’s all really. They do take off the plates on export too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Did it about 4 years ago but it should come with the registration document. That’s all really. They do take off the plates on export too.

    Thanks. The seller is saying they don't have a physical registration document but likely to give me an export document from the Post Office where he has to go to deregister it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    jlow1 wrote: »
    Thanks. The seller is saying they don't have a physical registration document but likely to give me an export document from the Post Office where he has to go to deregister it?

    Yeah I remember it had to be deregistered alright. Maybe it was the export document I got . I do remember that it didn’t have the month of manufacture so NCT place put it down as 01/01

    Older cars there have to nct (wof) every 6 months. Can’t get taxed (rego) without it. Done at garages so not as strict but strict enough.

    What u thinking of bringing over?


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Yeah I remember it had to be deregistered alright. Maybe it was the export document I got . I do remember that it didn’t have the month of manufacture so NCT place put it down as 01/01

    Older cars there have to nct (wof) every 6 months. Can’t get taxed (rego) without it. Done at garages so not as strict but strict enough.

    What u thinking of bringing over?

    Yeah that seems to be way its done. I'm waiting back from transport company about their documents now too.

    Got a CarJam report this thing hasn't had a WOF in a while. Needs a bit of work. Its a Subaru Legacy RS. Impossible to get Series 1 cars this side of the world.


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    Anybody any further insight to this?
    Car is here now and VRT are saying the chassis number isn't on the deregistration document.
    Anybody experience of what paperwork to use?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭ Bigus


    jlow1 wrote: »
    Anybody any further insight to this?
    Car is here now and VRT are saying the chassis number isn't on the dersegistration document.
    Anybody experience of what paperwork to use?

    Get the seller to copy or photograph the original registration papers font and back and send to you by email aswell.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    Bigus wrote: »
    Get the seller to copy or photograph the original registration papers font and back and send to you by email aswell.

    OP stated the seller didn't have the paperwork.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    In NZ if you have not registered a vehicle in 12 months it automatically becomes deregistered. Here even if u don’t declare a car off road u have to pay the back taxes but it’s still ‘live’.

    So could have been that the car was deregistered rather than deregistered for export by the owner. May account for missing vin. It wouldn’t have an active vin to be deregistered.

    Try contacting retro ride imports. I see he has imported classic cars from nz so a friendly facebook question to him might yield some insights.


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    The vehicle was 'live' as he applied for an export number so he could export it so was definitely deregistered for export.

    Yeah in fairness Retro Rides suggested the Car Jam report as a comment on a facebook post I put up but might just message directly and enquire.

    Other than that I am lead to believe they don't have any tax books, log books etc. over there so not sure what else i can get if i have to.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    you'll have to find something, they won't re-register it without a registration document,


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    Your best bet is to go onto an NZ classic car forum and ask them. They are classic car mad over there so someone should give you some insights. I didn’t have my issues with mine but it was registered prior to export.


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    The sellers experience was that he couldn't export it without deregistering it.

    Have sent all the documents I have off to them there today and guy in the VRT office reckons I might just need a letter from a classic/vintage club to confirm it is what it is.

    Anybody a suggestion for a good club to do that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    If you import a car from the UK with no registration document , you have to jump through multiple hoops to get it re-registered, I can't see it being as easy as that from NZ. Hope it is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    Isambard wrote: »
    If you import a car from the UK with no registration document , you have to jump through multiple hoops to get it re-registered, I can't see it being as easy as that from NZ. Hope it is.

    Yeah I've been through it with UK car with no V5, just one hoop & got it sorted like I'm sure this will too thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ Car99


    jlow1 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been through it with UK car with no V5, just one hoop & got it sorted like I'm sure this will too thanks.

    What hoop for VRTing a UK car with no V5 if you dont mind sharing?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    There's a whole thread on that subject on here. In a nutshell, the UK will not send you a V5C and the VRT people here will not re-register it without it. People left in limbo are having to resort to finding a UK address for the UK people to send the V5C to. The difficulty really comes if the car has been marked as "exported" by the DVLA, in which instance the owner would have to re-register the car in the UK to get a V5C, which means shipping it back and having it MoTd possibly .


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    Car99 wrote: »
    What hoop for VRTing a UK car with no V5 if you dont mind sharing?

    Used V62 form to apply for V5 using a friends UK address.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    jlow1 wrote: »
    Used V62 form to apply for V5 using a friends UK address.

    which will work as long as it isn't marked as export. You can check that on the DVLA website where it will show "export marker yes/no"

    I'd be concerned as this NZ car is marked "export" and if they treat it the same as a UK import, that could be a problem.


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    Got message from VRT that Revenue are accepting the paperwork so happy days.


  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭ Tazio


    Glad to hear; this was actually a nerve wrecking thread! ;) Thanks for the follow up. Enjoy your car.

    Cheers
    T


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    brilliant news.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ Car99


    jlow1 wrote: »
    Its a Subaru Legacy RS.

    Nice. What colour is it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    Thanks all and the best thing about is it will be the least I've ever paid for this dreaded tax.......at only €200

    Car99 wrote: »
    Nice. What colour is it?

    White, only colour for them. Bit of a resto project so god knows when ill get it on the road.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ Car99


    jlow1 wrote: »
    Thanks all and the best thing about is it will be the least I've ever paid for this dreaded tax.......at only €200




    White, only colour for them. Bit of a resto project so god knows when ill get it on the road.

    Very cool . Nice sounding car .


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ jlow1


    €200 paid up today and reg number got, cheapest day I've ever had in one of them places!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭ newmember?


    I think you forgot to attach the photo...:)


Advertisement