Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What level of spf do you use?

Options
  • 06-10-2020 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

I nearly always use 50 during the day ..am i over doing it? is 30 enough?

Also do products with retinol offset their spf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

No, 50 is perfect, there are mixed messages on your second question, all the research I've done is inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

To be honest, there's not a huge difference between SPF 30 and SPF 50. SPF 30, if correctly used, should block about 97% of both UVA and UVB rays; for SPF 50 the figure is 98%. A lot of sunscreens that are tested and certified to SPF 30 would in fact also pass the SPF 50 test.

Which means that the more important question is not whether you use SPF30 or SPF 50; it's whether you are using sunscreen correctly.

Which, for most of us, means, are you using enough of it? You should be using a generous teaspoonful for each arm, the same for each leg, for your back (if exposed), for your front (if exposed) and maybe two teaspoonfuls for your face, neck, ears and shoulders. That'll all add up to about three tablespoonfuls. Put it on 20 minutes to half an hour before going out. Reapply to exposed parts every two hours, if you remain outdoors.

If you're swimming, a lot of sunscreens are water-resistant, but they're not towel-resistant. So reapply after drying yourself.

Advertisement