Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Panel

Options
  • 05-10-2020 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi, I have a semidetached house, and I'm planning to install solar panels. Is there any rule for installing number of panels or size?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Deltarom wrote: »
    Hi, I have a semidetached house, and I'm planning to install solar panels. Is there any rule for installing number of panels or size?
    Thanks

You're limited to 12m2 of panels without planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Deltarom

air wrote: »
    You're limited to 12m2 of panels without planning.

I have a converted garage and a storage room outside is there any exemption for garage or the storage room outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

No, the 12m2 refers to the total of all panels within the curtilage of the property.
    There are talks that this limit will be increased or removed but nothing concrete as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Deltarom

air wrote: »
    No, the 12m2 refers to the total of all panels within the curtilage of the property.
    There are talks that this limit will be increased or removed but nothing concrete as of yet.

https://energyd.ie/solar-panels-and-planning-permission-in-ireland/

Thank you for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Most commercial PV installers in the country ignore the 12 sq.m. rule. SEAI also ignores the rule when it comes to giving out grants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And planning permission is no longer enforceable now someone who plastered the front, road facing roof, of their house with panels and won against the council. Basically install as many panels as you like, anywhere you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donaldbronx

unkel wrote: »
    And planning permission is no longer enforceable now someone who plastered the front, road facing roof, of their house with panels and won against the council. I bought my solar panels at this and think that it had a rich collection. Basically install as many panels as you like, anywhere you like.

I heard another information. Up to 5 kW seems to be the current acceptable capacity for solar dictated by most electricity retailers. Regardless of that limit, to get the very most out of your rooftop solar power panels you should consider having the system linked to a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's probably obvious and not relevant in this case but encase someone stumbles across this thread looking for info I just want to add the exception to this is a protected structure or if your in the curtilage of a protected structure. You can't add any PV panels without planning permission if it's protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 paulcorkgolf

We are normally allowed up to 12sqm of Solar Panels without having permissions, to make it sure if the rules have changed or not so good to check if you are looking for higher output system to install solar panels from this site in the FAQs and grants section they have good and updated information, someone in my circle did use their services earlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is needless post, as Unkel stated above fill your roof if you like, I've filled mine with 36m2 without planning and no issues, SEAI grant paid without hiccup

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
Advertisement