Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement sofa leg?

Options
  • 05-10-2020 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Posting this in the hope that someone might be able to advise. This morning i noticed one of the metal legs on my leather couch is bent and the metal is cracked and about to give way. It's a couch from Reid Furniture (bought around 10 years ago), but I think they're gone out of business.

Does anyone know if I could get a replacement? Or could this be welded back together?

50422662707_f4ae400978_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What is it made from?

Alloy = no good, you will need to make one from steel.

Steel you can weld easily and make it strong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What is it made from?

Alloy = no good, you will need to make one from steel.

Steel you can weld easily and make it strong again.

I'm not sure TBH.

magnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It doesn't look like steel but the rust on the base where it would have been in contact with mopping says otherwise. Perhaps it was dipped in some rust preventative alloy after manufacture but then if it is steel surprised it would fracture like that, guess possible over after 10 years of fatigue.

A halfway decent fabricator would make one of them out of steel, maybe not exactly the same style but close for not much.
    If that leg is cracked I would think the rest of them would need a thorough check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks as though they would be easy to take off, ask a fabricator to make new ones as CJH has suggested, or find a woodworker/woodturner to make wooden ones.

Thanks. i'll check if there's someone local who might make a replica

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

If it were me, I would take it off and straighten it out correctly. Then I would cut a block of timber to sit in the space underneath, drill 3 holes through it to line up with the 3 holes in the leg, screw longer screws through the timber and the leg to attach the whole lot back to the couch. Then I would drill 2 holes through the side of the leg into the timber and screw it to the timber.... I hope that makes sense?

That should be enough to hold it together and you would never see the timber block and the 2 screws in the side would also be very difficult to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

chewed wrote: »
    Thanks. i'll check if there's someone local who might make a replica

Hey Chewed, I take on small jobs like that.
    Looks weldable and reinforceable to me.

Im down in Cork but if you cant find someone local its only a fiver to post it. Let me know if you're stuck

mawk wrote: »
    Hey Chewed, I take on small jobs like that.
    Looks weldable and reinforceable to me.

Im down in Cork but if you cant find someone local its only a fiver to post it. Let me know if you're stuck

Thanks a million. I have temporary solution, so will see how it goes. We need to replace the couch anyway.

• Advertisement

If it were me, I would take it off and straighten it out correctly. Then I would cut a block of timber to sit in the space underneath, drill 3 holes through it to line up with the 3 holes in the leg, screw longer screws through the timber and the leg to attach the whole lot back to the couch. Then I would drill 2 holes through the side of the leg into the timber and screw it to the timber.... I hope that makes sense?

That should be enough to hold it together and you would never see the timber block and the 2 screws in the side would also be very difficult to see.

Thanks for the great tip. I just put in a wooden block and wedged it in, straightened the bent metal and it looks grand now. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

If its a front leg that's visible could you replace it with one of the rear legs and use a wooden solution at the rear of the couch where it wont be visible?

If its a front leg that's visible could you replace it with one of the rear legs and use a wooden solution at the rear of the couch where it wont be visible?

I was just thinking of doing that. I'm all DIY'd out today though. I'll add it to my long list. :(

Advertisement