Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working remotely, thinking of moving abroad

Options
  • 05-10-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

Right so basically I've been working at home for the past couple of months for a large multinational company. All indications suggest that I wont be in the office until well into the next year.

My question is would I be foolish in giving some thought into moving abroad and continuing to work remotely from somewhere else? The thought of moving to a place with a warmer climate appeals to me a lot right now. Or is this a complete non-runner given the circumstances we find ourselves in? Would I even be legally allowed to do this?

Any advise is welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭uli84

Hi all,

Right so basically I've been working at home for the past couple of months for a large multinational company. All indications suggest that I wont be in the office until well into the next year.

My question is would I be foolish in giving some thought into moving abroad and continuing to work remotely from somewhere else? The thought of moving to a place with a warmer climate appeals to me a lot right now. Or is this a complete non-runner given the circumstances we find ourselves in? Would I even be legally allowed to do this?

You will have to get a green light from your Company HR for anything like that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi all,

Well first of all you need to talk to your company and ensure that it is possible to work outside the jurisdiction, depending on the type of work you do there may be legal restrictions relating to data etc....

The other think to keep in mind is that there are lockdowns going on everywhere. You may find yourself very much alone where ever you go. Will you be happy with your own company, how well do you speak the local language and so on....

I have lived in Switzerland for over 30 years, 20+ at my current address, have family here and speak the local language... so lockdown for me was fine. But I would want to do in a foreign country were I know no one and did not speak the local language, so I could understand exactly what is going on, what the rules are, where to get supplies etc.

Advertisement