Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I only have an automatic for practice. Manual or automatic lessons, which one?

Options
  • 05-10-2020 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello! I am in my 40s and have no driving experience. I just got my first learner's permit. My husband's car, which I'll be able to practice in is an automatic. I'm struggling to find anywhere that offers automatic lessons near me (north Wicklow) without waiting for a few months, if at all.

Does it make any sense to get lessons in a manual gearbox car and then only have automatic to practice in?

Is someone unlikely to pass their driving test in a manual car if they have only practiced in an automatic but done the 12 EDTs in a manual? Since my husband's car is automatic I figured I'd just go for automatic lessons but now I'm struggling to find them so considering manual gearbox lessons.

I'm just wondering it it's silly to get manual lessons if I can't practice on a manual gearbox. Obviously an unrestricted license would be more desirable in the long run.

I feel like I need lessons in a dual control car to start with so starting lessons in my husband's car is not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

Cicilulu wrote: »
    Hello! I am in my 40s and have no driving experience. I just got my first learner's permit. My husband's car, which I'll be able to practice in is an automatic. I'm struggling to find anywhere that offers automatic lessons near me (north Wicklow) without waiting for a few months, if at all.

Does it make any sense to get lessons in a manual gearbox car and then only have automatic to practice in?

Is someone unlikely to pass their driving test in a manual car if they have only practiced in an automatic but done the 12 EDTs in a manual? Since my husband's car is automatic I figured I'd just go for automatic lessons but now I'm struggling to find them so considering manual gearbox lessons.

I'm just wondering it it's silly to get manual lessons if I can't practice on a manual gearbox. Obviously an unrestricted license would be more desirable in the long run.

I feel like I need lessons in a dual control car to start with so starting lessons in my husband's car is not an option.

The way things are going with electrics/hybrids my guess is that in the long run manual gearboxes are going to become rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

That may be so, but automatic lessons are still a rare commodity. Are they really worth waiting months for?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't understand why you'd have to wait, it's not like driving an automatic is a special skill that needs a special instructor.
    Have you rang every driving school in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You may struggle to get instructor with automatic car but no reason any instructor couldn't take you out in your husband's car. Lesson don't have to be in schools car.

Advertisement