Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ryanair making a move on Atlantic (while it's Cheap ?)

Options
  • 05-10-2020 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

A Family member who works in leasing tells me the word is, Ryanair are looking to buy a few A380s or 777's while the price of these Aircraft is so cheap, They are all laying up and could be got for a song.
    M O L did order a load of 737's during 9/11 when aviation was on it's arse so if he did have plans to do Atlantic in the future now is the time to get the Aircraft for next to nothing. It would be a clever move if true, They have the $$$,s.
    Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ish66 wrote: »
    A Family member who works in leasing tells me the word is, Ryanair are looking to buy a few A380s or 777's while the price of these Aircraft is so cheap, They are all laying up and could be got for a song.
    M O L did order a load of 737's during 9/11 when aviation was on it's arse so if he did have plans to do Atlantic in the future now is the time to get the Aircraft for next to nothing. It would be a clever move if true, They have the $$$,s.
    Thoughts ?

The airlines that run A380 are in the manority of cases getting rid or looking to get rid.
    I dont think that is the aircraft they need. O Leary would surely go twin engine Boeing.
    Personally, i think the collapse is too big this time to be taking a gable on long haul but knowing ryanair, they will probably manage to sign up an option on some long haul planes with terms all in their favour that would look liks the bargain of the century when travel numbers return.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,089 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No way (I’d think) would he go and splash cash on purchasing long haul aircraft.

Not with the state of life, business etc.

Load factors on all routes will be low enough for a year I’d think on return to normality. To commit an order and have to bargain on a vaccine is one heck of a risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

airlines are withdrawing both as they are too expensive to run the 777 also has body an engine problems cracking in both Ryanair will not go for either it needs smaller planes the 380 cant land in small airports ryanar uses

https://economyclassandbeyond.boardingarea.com/2020/05/14/delta-to-withdraw-its-boeing-777-fleet/#:~:text=Delta%20Air%20Lines%20is%20no%20exception%2C%20with%20the,to%20exit%20operates%20by%20the%20end%20of%202020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Ish66 wrote: »
    A Family member who works in leasing tells me the word is, Ryanair are looking to buy a few A380s or 777's while the price of these Aircraft is so cheap, ?

Checks calendar......nope not April........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Not

A

Chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I heard he is going to fly to Vegas double daily from Dublin........sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Not a chance.
    More chance of them inheriting or taking over Aer Lingus than OPs suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, they are buying the 737-9 and 10 with the range to get to New York , so could take over the routes that Norwegian used to run out of Dublin a couple of years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A380 is a no go, too limited in terms of destinations and the need to fill it.

B777 is a great aircraft and should be available in volume on the second hand market, but they are old. 777x is too expensive today even if available

A340 are everywhere... but no point as its a fuel guzzler

A330 is smaller than the 777 again available in good volume, Level went with the A330-200 as the ownership costs we low and offset the slightly higher fuel burn

B787 probably the best in terms of capacity/cost/fuel. Just buy Norwegian...

B737max 9/10, no problem get in volume at good prices. Horrible compromise in performance terms

A321NEO XLR is the best aircraft in terms of range/runway requirement and anyone with a NEO LR or XLR order is likely to hold on to them as they are the best aircraft for the current environment. Toulouse have no interest in talking to FR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Could just imagine the queues snaking around the apron as Ryanair load 800 people using stairs on an A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

B787 probably the best in terms of capacity/cost/fuel. Just buy Norwegian...
    B737max 9/10, no problem get in volume at good prices. Horrible compromise in performance terms

Ha! Yea good call, Norwegian are all but finished apart from maybe being nationalized, it would be a good buy for RA.

The 737 would be good enough for the East coast runs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenzor07 wrote: »

The 737 would be good enough for the East coast runs?

The problem is it’s bad utilization for a 737, it can make more money operating multiple flights per day within Europe rather than doing 1 there 1 back in a day on transatlantics

Locker10a wrote: »
    The problem is it’s bad utilization for a 737, it can make more money operating multiple flights per day within Europe rather than doing 1 there 1 back in a day on transatlantics

Seemed to work well enough at the time for Norwegian?

And the 737-10 will have the additional passenger capacity...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Seemed to work well enough at the time for Norwegian?

And the 737-10 will have the additional passenger capacity...

Well, it didn’t work well for norwegian... they weren’t making profit and eventually pulled the routes, back in 2018 I think.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Well, it didn’t work well for norwegian... they weren’t making profit and eventually pulled the routes, back in 2018 I think.

Ah I think they did start to make a profit, but it was the grounding of the Max which was the nail in the coffin for that route... it only worked with the Max, the A330's they brought in cost far too much to run...

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭3d4life

Short sectors are the friend of the bean counters as significant profit comes from selling seats and hold bags.

Would crew be paying their own hotac ? Better for all that crew are tucked up in their own beds at days end :)

long sectors = mugs game

Ryanair could do it to destroying a profitable revenue stream for their competitors who are cross-subsidizing their inter-European business but it wouldn't make big profits for Ryanair.
    Ryanair could have daily flights to New York from Dublin, Stansted, Brussels, Madrid and Frankfurt hubs taking locals and feed. They'd make near no profit but they'd hurt the financials of pretty much every major airline in Europe.
    I don't see them doing it in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I heard one of their executives spell out their medium term plan last week. It’s essentially pick off their weaker competitors, lots of growth left in Europe, particularly Italy and Germany. They will sit on The timetables of their less well capitalised competitors like Alitalia and easyJet, they will offer a competing flight at a similar time but cheaper (Bellows Alitalia costs) and eventually push the competition off the route. Plus Norwegian will create a vacuum, Ryanair will take most of that as easyJet can’t afford new planes to pick up the slack, only other in airline in Europe that will grow in Europe in short/medium term is Wizz

• Advertisement
Advertisement