Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting banisters from white to brown.

Options
  • 04-10-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I've painted lots of rooms but haven't the first idea about banisters. At the moment it's all white, Dulux Satinwood. Where would I even start to get it to look something like the pictures below? I'm looking for a brown rail and white spindles combo.

I've started sanding but then i realised it'll be some task to get all the white off. Do I need to or do I just take off the top layer. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

You don't need to get all the white off if its in good nick. Get some Bloxx It by Fleetwood. Apply to handrail ( after masking the underside edges), give it a good key and then finish off in whatever top coats you want. Bloxx It is also tintable but you prob not to dark brown so the shop should be able to darken it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You won't achieve that finish without removing all the paint. The original picture is natural timber that's been stained and sealed.

If you don't remove the white paint all you can do is paint the rail brown. It will be nothing like the grained effect.

So you've alot of work ahead or choose to do something your less satisfied with.

Chemical remover and wire wool might be an option or heat gun for the thicker down stairs handrail

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It could be scumbled. Probably a dying art?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

listermint wrote: »
    You won't achieve that finish without removing all the paint. The original picture is natural timber that's been stained and sealed.

If you don't remove the white paint all you can do is paint the rail brown. It will be nothing like the grained effect.

So you've alot of work ahead or choose to do something your less satisfied with.

Chemical remover and wire wool might be an option or heat gun for the thicker down stairs handrail

Thanks. I thought that was going to be the case. How bad will it look if I just paint it brown do ye reckon?

If you want graining, then yes you need to sand off the white. If you want a dark brown, walnut etc, follow the steps above. Any decent power sander with shift that in an hour. The bevels will need a 80 grit sanding sponge. Wouldn't go down route of chemical stripper. Its messy and you will need to neutralise it completely after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I work in a listed building, the staircase on the banister is just painted brown, looks fine, been trying to work out what paint they used because I want to do the same as you in my house, plus the saddleboards too, haven't manage to find what it was they might have used yet though, just brown gloss maybe? There is no grain showing through

stick up a photo

This the type of stuff I'm looking for or would a satin finish paint look better?

This the type of stuff I'm looking for or would a satin finish paint look better?

It's a matter of personal choice. That's said, I haven't been asked for gloss on a handrail in a few years

dok_golf wrote: »
    It's a matter of personal choice. That's said, I haven't been asked for gloss on a handrail in a few years

Thanks for all the info dok_golf. I appreciate it as I know you're a painter.

I've sanded as much of the stairs as I can. Some parts are down to the wood and some aren't. I've taken as much paint off as I can. The stairs was actually all painted with Dulux gloss if that makes a difference.

Is the next step to paint the whole stairs with Fleetwood bloxx and then paint the banister brown and the rest white satinwood, or is it a different undercoat for the spindles etc. I've included a few pictures to make sure I'm not making a mess of it. Thanks.

• Advertisement

You can use the Bloxx It on both the handrail and spindles. Just give it a decent key after. ( Also, if you are using white bloxx it, the handrail will prob take 3 or more topcoats. but it is the easiest part of a stair to paint)

dok_golf wrote: »
    You can use the Bloxx It on both the handrail and spindles. Just give it a decent key after. ( Also, if you are using white bloxx it, the handrail will prob take 3 or more topcoats. but it is the easiest part of a stair to paint)

Super thanks. By key do you mean sandpaper? 120 grit alright? And just to make sure; 1 coat bloxx, 2 satinwood on spindles and 3ish on handrail.

No more questions, I swear.

. Yes, giving a surface a key, is roughing it up a little so the paint adheres better. I would go 180 minimum. 1 coat Bloxx It should do, but if you aren't happy give it another one. It dries really quickly. I've sprayed over it after a couple of hours ( It says different on the tin afaik). Staircases are a pain to paint ( I have given up painting them, its all spray now. Getting to old and grumpy lol) so just accept its going to take time and things will go more smoothly.

Advertisement