Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a complete drill bit set for this Black and Decker.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Did you buy this drill? What do you need a drill for?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Can anyone recommend a good quality complete drill bit set for this Black and Decker K5004cresk percussion hammer drill.
    https://www.blackanddecker.ie/products/power-tools/drills/500w-percussion-hammer-drill/kr504cresk

Also can anyone recommend a Power Driver for home use.

Thanks

Any drill set will do as you won't be doing anything too serious with that drill so an expensive set would be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

stevek93 wrote: »
    Did you buy this drill? What do you need a drill for?

Various jobs around the house , fixing shelves, pictures, door handles etc.

Rearranging kitchen cabinets etc.

Mounting TV to a solid wall.

Some floor fixing.
    Would this drill be suitable to drill into a concrete floor because there is a rack I need to bolt in?

I also need to cover a hole in a back kitchen floor with a Grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

B&Q do an Erbauer set which is excellent.

It was €30 in store. Screw fix have it for €22 at the moment.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-straight-shank-mixed-drill-screwdriver-bit-set-100-pieces/8438v

We got a Makita set before and it was pretty poor, so I wouldn’t assume the De Walt would be premium quality despite the brand.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-straight-shank-mixed-drill-screwdriver-bit-set-100-pieces/8438v

We got a Makita set before and it was pretty poor, so I wouldn’t assume the De Walt would be premium quality despite the brand.

Great stuff, thanks.

Could you recommend a power screwdriver?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The bosch 50 porch for 18 euro at screfix would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

Lidl have some on offer on the 8th a cordless drill and other bits, Aldi have stuff on the 15th I think. Both of their brands of stuff is good enough for diy.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Great stuff, thanks.

Could you recommend a power screwdriver?

Lidl have a good one coming up on the 8th.

Oops, already posted.

We have built up a collection of them over the years and they’re very good.
    The warranty on them is excellent, we had an issue with a chuck on one recently and got a replacement by post. Another gave up its life while drilling 13mm holes in 80mm box steel. Again they replaced no quibble.

The batteries can be used on their other tools too, so you’ll often see angle grinders, Powerbank adaptors, impact drivers garden tools etc sold as the bare tool without battery for small money, so it’s quite handy that way.

I believe the Aldi “Ferrex” tools have a similar idea with the batteries.

I’d have the Lidl one over the Aldi, just because the Lidl ones have gone so well for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You should have gotten an sds drill if you're drilling masonry, that yoke will drive you stone crazy. I got a Hitachi that was on a special deal in a local suppliers during the crash, it's absolutely fantastic, he threw in an sds chuck and a 15mm long bit as I gave him cash. I have a set of sds masonry bits I got in Lidl, drilling holes in masonry literally only takes seconds now. The Black and Decker it replaced was banished to the recycling centre, it was a puny drill slipping heap of junk.

• Advertisement

You’d wonder how we survived before SDS drills. Yeah a corded hammer drill takes longer but it’s hardly hard work standing there waiting.

You’d wonder how we survived before SDS drills. Yeah a corded hammer drill takes longer but it’s hardly hard work standing there waiting.

Put a 22mm non sds bit in your corded drill and see how you get on.

It was absolute torture as invariably the bit started slipping in the chuck, the drills were so puny the slightest stone would either stall the drill, cause the bit to slip or send you off to one side completely ruining the whole job. The star bit and hammer while being extremely slow was 10 times more accurate and absolutely nothing got in its way.

aido79 wrote: »
    Put a 22mm non sds bit in your corded drill and see how you get on.

I’m fairly certain the OP won’t be drilling 22mm holes for hanging pictures.

I’m fairly certain the OP won’t be drilling 22mm holes for hanging pictures.

I was joking but as CoBo55 has said there a big advantages of sds drills.
    The OP's choice of drill indicates they most likely will have no need for sds.

aido79 wrote: »
    I was joking but as CoBo55 has said there a big advantages of sds drills.
    The OP's choice of drill indicates they most likely will have no need for sds.

There's always a need for sds, best thing ever invented, every hole I've drilled from 6mm to 24mm I've done with an sds bit, it does exactly what you want it to do each and every time. I'd never go back to a standard chuck for masonry.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    There's always a need for sds, best thing ever invented, every hole I've drilled from 6mm to 24mm I've done with an sds bit, it does exactly what you want it to do each and every time. I'd never go back to a standard chuck for masonry.

I'm not a DIY expert as you probably guessed. I found this article on the difference between SDS and regular drills and it's got straight forward clear info.
    https://www.its.co.uk/Hub/FAQs/Article-_HUB-SDSDRILL.htm#:~:text=The%20'Slotted%20Drive%20System'%20means,chuck%20of%20an%20SDS%2B%20drill.&text=It%20also%20reduces%20friction%20inside,will%20move%20back%20and%20forth.

I didn't know you could use regular drills bits in SDS drills .

Can anyone recommend one. Going by the article above I would consider getting a 3 mode drill if the price isn't too high .

Btw is the Black and Decker drill that I have suitable for smaller jobs in the house. Although posters her dont recommend it for Masonry work it does seem bulky and heavy for smaller jobs.

Is there a better drill for DIY jobs around the house?

I'm not a DIY expert as you probably guessed. I found this article on the difference between SDS and regular drills and it's got straight forward clear info.
    https://www.its.co.uk/Hub/FAQs/Article-_HUB-SDSDRILL.htm#:~:text=The%20'Slotted%20Drive%20System'%20means,chuck%20of%20an%20SDS%2B%20drill.&text=It%20also%20reduces%20friction%20inside,will%20move%20back%20and%20forth.

Can anyone recommend one. Going by the article above I would consider getting a 3 more drill if the price isn't too high .

Btw is the Black and Decker drill that I have suitable for smaller jobs in the house. Although posters her dont recommend it for Masonry work it seems bulky and heavy for smaller jobs.

Is there a better drill for DIY jobs around the house?

Lidl have some on sale

con747 wrote: »
    Lidl have some on sale

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Would this be good quality?
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-erh750-3-4kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-220-240v/232fv

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need a chuck to do so; though I've never seen a drill not come with one. someone will likely find an example that doesn't!

They break, from experience; but they are not massively dear to replace

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2607000982-keyed-chuck-sds-plus-adaptor-13mm/80892 for instance.

• Advertisement

The Lidl drill will do your basic diy around the house and being cordless will save trying to use extension leads. I have no experience with Erbauer but I think they are reasonable quality.

I just found this on Amazon, I'm not sure if the battery interchanges with the drill on sale in Lidl but if it does it could be a good combination.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parkside-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-SDS-Plus/dp/B08CS3ZT8D/ref=sr_1_19?crid=X9OTUYZ8EJLL&dchild=1&keywords=sds+drill&qid=1602349661&refinements=p_36%3A118663031&rnid=118657031&s=diy&sprefix=sds+drill%2Caps%2C268&sr=1-19

CoBo55 wrote: »

Neither would I. I'd use them for wood and metal if they were available too. There's nothing worse than having the drill bit spin in a chuck and the drill bit size being worn away so you can't see the size the next time you try looking for a certain size bit. I don't understand why they don't print the sizes on the end of the drill bit instead of the shaft.

Advertisement