Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do charity shops take stuffed toys?

Options
  • 04-10-2020 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭

Clearing out the attic. There’s two sack loads of stuffed toys that I need to get rid of. Beanies and teddy’s etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I don't think they take them anymore. Certainly not during Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

OU812 wrote: »
    Clearing out the attic. There’s two sack loads of stuffed toys that I need to get rid of. Beanies and teddy’s etc

They don't take them anymore afaik. Unless they're still in the box and haven't been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Theres a NCBI near me and they have a big sign saying no toys. No books either apparantly which I thought was strange and this is well before Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

If you are close to an animal shelter, they might take them. A lot of dogs love to have a teddy or two.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

micah537 wrote: »
    If you are close to an animal shelter, they might take them. A lot of dogs love to have a teddy or two.

i saw a dog riding a stuffed toy once if you know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    i saw a dog riding a stuffed toy once if you know what i mean
    Between chewing and riding, time will fly at the shelter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OU812 wrote: »

If any are in mint or near mint condition, the Beanie Babies are worth money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Theres a NCBI near me and they have a big sign saying no toys. No books either apparantly which I thought was strange and this is well before Covid.

Probably because nobody reads anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

micah537 wrote: »

Dogs Trust certainly take them in for that very reason. They also welcome old bed sheets, rugs, blankets, pillows and towels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Dogs Trust certainly take them in for that very reason. They also welcome old bed sheets, rugs, blankets, pillows and towels.

And old dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Kylta wrote: »
    And old dogs

whether they read or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Impossible to donate. Either give them away for free or bin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

wildwillow wrote: »
    I don't think they take them anymore. Certainly not during Covid.

Why would covid have any bearing on whether or not they take stuffed toys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Why would covid have any bearing on whether or not they take stuffed toys?

Probably think there is a chance the stuffed toy has covid. Don't see the problem they can always cocoon them for a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Just stuff them into one of the local clothes banks and they can get rid of them

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Any records there OP? I'll take 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Edgware wrote: »
    Just stuff them into one of the local clothes banks and they can get rid of them

In that case, why not just throw them in the door of a charity shop for the staff to deal with?

If somebody’s going to be a wanker, they might as well own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

The no books thing is a result of books not selling that well, not being a good revenue stream, taking up huge amounts of storage space (in what are normally small shops) and the cost of disposing of old or damaged books.

Makes sense if you ever saw the amount of books most charity shops have in the back, several duplicates of the same 'bestseller' ones, and a lot are donated but water damaged or mouldy etc. Nightmare for them trying to keep on top of as far as I know, so a lot of the charities like SVP and NCBI don't take them anymore in some shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

lucalux wrote: »
    The no books thing is a result of books not selling that well, not being a good revenue stream, taking up huge amounts of storage space (in what are normally small shops) and the cost of disposing of old or damaged books.

Makes sense if you ever saw the amount of books most charity shops have in the back, several duplicates of the same 'bestseller' ones, and a lot are donated but water damaged or mouldy etc. Nightmare for them trying to keep on top of as far as I know, so a lot of the charities like SVP and NCBI don't take them anymore in some shops
    It does make sense I suppose. As someone said earlier probably because no one reads books anymore. It's a shame really because a book is basically useless after it's read. If there was demand and they could move them they could receive thousands of books annually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

It does make sense I suppose. As someone said earlier probably because no one reads books anymore. It's a shame really because a book is basically useless after it's read. If there was demand and they could move them they could receive thousands of books annually.

I think it's a shame also, I've gotten brilliant books in charity shops over the years, but they still do sell them! They're just inundated with the amounts so have to limit how much they accept as donations.

Dedicated charity bookshops might be an idea also. Plenty of empty retail units sitting idle if they could staff them

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Oxfam's Dedicated Bookshop (23 Parliament St, Dublin 2) is still taking books, but of necessity are getting a bit picky, as the shipping stuff around is a pain at the moment, so they're having to only take what they can sell at that location.

It'd be no harm to phone ahead (01 670 7022), save everyone some hassle by checking what they can take at the moment.

They took about 2 yards of assorted Sci-Fi from me a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Depends what they are stuffed with i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I don't know where you live OP but if you're anywhere around Cork the City Dump (recycling centre) take them and put them on display !! They have a massive collection out there. I was out that way in Tramore Valley Park recently and they've now started to fill the fencing surrounding the recycling centre with them as well. Looks great !!

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-examiner/20190924/281784220813390

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

iamstop wrote: »
    Any records there OP? I'll take 'em

Two boxes of them, but I've already gifted them to my mate's daughter who's just discovered vinyl.

Incredible feeling to be able to influence someone's musical taste. Already have her listening to Floyd, Stones, & Beatles from Birthday & Xmas gifts.

Next up is some vintage stuff from the attic, lot of Irish stuff (Lizzy mostly), some more of the previously mentioned ones, some Zepplin, beach boys, Springsteen & Bowie, Fleetwood Mac & even Sinatra among others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

It depends on the charity shop and the condition of the toys, if theyre in bits, filthy, ripped etc they wont take them at all.
    Best thing to do would be to ask in your local charity shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Impossible to donate. Either give them away for free or bin them.

That was the sad truth I had to do with a load of stuff back on March. Car seats , other kids stuff , toys.

Contact the local drug dealer, I'm sure they'll find use for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

This is one scary virus if it can use a stuffed toy as a host! Greatest mutation in all of natural history.

One shop I know of in Dublin puts all donated items aside in a holding area for a period of time. Then guaranteed covid free. This isn't microbiology PhD grade knowledge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement