Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning bike advice

Options
  • 04-10-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, I'm looking for advice on buying a spinning bike that I am currently renting. I rented a bike because I didn't know if i would use one or not. So far I have used it about 2x a week which I am happy with and can see myself using it more in the future.
    The company I hired the bike from have a hire to buy scheme. The bike has presumably seen a lot of wear from other users and has signs of rust near where the friction pad makes contact with the flywheel, and wear on other parts of the bike. The bike is listed as worth 900 (I have seen this bike available for this price so don't think it is exaggerated). I have already paid €350 in renting the bike which can be deducted from the total price of the bike. I'm wondering am I mad to think about buying the bike outright?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

I don't know much about spin bikes but I'm guessing the friction pad making contact with the flywheel is pretty important to it working.

I'd probably take a look at what a worst case scenario would be, and if it's worth saving the 350 on that vs buying one new. From what you're saying, worst case scenario would be having to get those possibly rusted parts replaced by a spin bike repair shop, plus some other potential problems which might not be evident at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

Could you put up a picture of the rust? It might just be surface rust from sweat falling on it, as a result, wouldn't affect use.

As regards price, is 900 the price new? How many other users has it had?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BurntAsh

The thing is, I don't know what parts often break down or how much they cost to repair. In this case I also don't know how much the bike was used before me. It is a robust enough bike with wear around the handlebars etc so I assume it's seen a fair amount of use.
    I see prices of it for £750 new but that would probably cost another £100 to deliver.
    Here's a few pics of the rust/wear I had to put a space in between the url as I'm a new user https: //imgur.com/a/EaVsfwG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much would they be charging you for the bike if you did buy it? the full €900 (minus your €350)?

it's a secondhand bike and the warranty is probably shot.

how much would they be charging you for the bike if you did buy it? the full €900 (minus your €350)?

it's a secondhand bike and the warranty is probably shot.

The whole lot. I'm uncertain about spinning bikes in general. How often do they break down?

Would a JLL IC400 from amazon or something like this be a better buy? https ://mcsport.ie/collections/studio-bikes-2627/products/bh-fitness-sb26-spin-bike-h9173

• Advertisement

Spinning bikes don't really break down, the felt pad might need replacing, or the drive belt, but mostly it's just get on and go. After that, basic maintenance that any machine might require, oiling, checking bits and bolts are tight etc.

I definitely wouldn't be paying the full rrp for a second hand machine. Can you post some pictures? Where are you buying/renting from?

cletus wrote: »
    Spinning bikes don't really break down, the felt pad might need replacing, or the drive belt, but mostly it's just get on and go. After that, basic maintenance that any machine might require, oiling, checking bits and bolts are tight etc.

I definitely wouldn't be paying the full rrp for a second hand machine. Can you post some pictures? Where are you buying/renting from?

Here's a few pics of the rust/wear I had to put a space in between the url as I'm a new user https: //imgur.com/a/EaVsfwG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they exposed to sweat much? it'd be odd for something stored indoors permanently to rust that much, i'd have thought.

That's almost definitely from sweat, which would suggest it got plenty of use. It's all pretty much surface rust, but I wouldn't be paying full whack for the bike. Tbh, I wouldn't have paid the money you did to rent it either, but that can't be helped now. Can you post a picture of the full bike?

cletus wrote: »
    That's almost definitely from sweat, which would suggest it got plenty of use. It's all pretty much surface rust, but I wouldn't be paying full whack for the bike. Tbh, I wouldn't have paid the money you did to rent it either, but that can't be helped now. Can you post a picture of the full bike?

It was a tricky time to get exercise equipment months ago when stock was low so I was glad to get it. At the time I wasn't sure if I would use it so thought renting was the best option. The bike is a BH spada 2. I'm not near it now so can't put up a full picture. The more I write about it, the more I'm certain of returning it and getting a new bike. Any suggestions for a decent cheap bike?

• Advertisement
Advertisement