Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father working on central heating

Options
  • 04-10-2020 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out what the father is up to - he shouldn’t even be doing this at his age.

We don’t have the best relationship - he has mental health issues. but he is in a good mood, loves talking shop but is being very chatty. I’m living in the house as my mother’s carer. He believes himself the carer even though he takes every opportunity to be away from the house. He is even the one who wanted me living here- freaks out if I go out myself or if he suspects I’m moving out.

The tank (cylinder??) in the press has leaked. It is a white stain but has been there since at least last October.

The other day he wanted to get onto the room to take the radiator off. it is only a small room so I had to pack anyway my computer and take the bed apart. That evening he removed the radiator. Yesterday after he “drained the system” - hose out of the garage pumping water into the garden.

Last night the radiators were back working and he put on the immersion for a shower. Radiators are on this morning.

The radiator from my room is still in the garage. And I’ve had to had to sleep in the sitting room - not putting the bed together again only to take it apart again.

I have a brother-in-law who understands the basics of plumbing. He was here for a few minutes about something else and told me he doesn’t understand what the old man is doing.

Does any of the work make sense - removing one radiator but the following draining the water but not changing the cylinder in the hot press but turning the central heating back on. He has always been slow and disorganised at working.

I’m not doing too well in the mental health department myself. Feeling very down and barely keeping a lid on my OCD. This all has me thinking that my father is trying to make me uncomfortable and annoyed so that I want leave - it would be the kind of thing he would do - but I cannot tell if I’m imagining it.

If removing my radiator makes sense then okay. If it doesn’t and he just being a contrary prick then I would like to know.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I think most of this post should have been put in some personal issues type of forum. Most of the answers you need will have to start with your/his doctor or public health nurse.

If you can't ask him why he did it, then get someone else to ask him. He may have found that the leak could be fixed without replacing the cylinder. .......... Or maybe just wanted to discomfort you.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Wearb wrote: »
    I think most of this post should have been put in some personal issues type of forum. Most of the answers you need will have to start with your/his doctor or public health nurse.

If you can't ask him why he did it, then get someone else to ask him. He may have found that the leak could be fixed without replacing the cylinder. .......... Or maybe just wanted to discomfort you.

Sorry it ramble into personal issues but I knew that if I just asked valour the plumbing that I get response saying “just ask him”.

I would focus on the actual plumbing.

The leak is in the cylinder itself. I assumed he was draining the water so as to take out the cylinder.

Is there a plumbing reason to remove a radiator, then the following day to drain the water from the system and then turn the central heating back on?

I’d actually be happy if the radiator was left out. I could have the bed closer to the wall and have more space.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sorry it ramble into personal issues but I knew that if I just asked valour the plumbing that I get response saying “just ask him”.

The leak is in the cylinder itself. I assumed he was draining the water so as to take out the cylinder.

Is there a plumbing reason to remove a radiator, then the following day to drain the water from the system and then turn the central heating back on?

I’d actually be happy if the radiator was left out. I could have the bed closer to the wall and have more space.

Could be trying to replace dirty water .

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It’s possible that there was no drain cock and the radiator was at a convenient position to drain the thing down.

Advertisement