Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Americans speak like Muppet Show characters?

Options
  • 03-10-2020 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

A weird high pitched whine of contorted vowel sounds.

Once upon a time you knew an American speaking, as they sounded like a mountain in a manly shape. Slightly slow paced deep toned cadence of serious intent.

Now it's as if Jim Henson inhabits their voice box.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A lot of them seem to have problems with their adenoids, and “allergies”, so they always sound like they have a cold.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Like Ireland americans have different accents
    Most don't speak like that in america your probably talking about new yorkers who's familys imirgrated world wide you get russian . Jewish italian accents all mixed onto one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Suspect that the voices of The Muppet shows characters are derived from American accents...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

They're clearly watching too many Amercian TV shows, or TV shows as they would know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,833 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A weird high pitched whine of contorted vowel sounds.

Once upon a time you knew an American speaking, as they sounded like a mountain in a manly shape. Slightly slow paced deep toned cadence of serious intent.

Now it's as if Jim Henson inhabits their voice box.

That's women you are listening to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Why do Americans speak like Muppet Show characters?

Maybe if you leave the confines of your village you can ask each and every 579 million Americans why they all sound identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Why do Muppet Show characters speak like Americans...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Do they all speak like beaker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I rang the Chinese guy who is fixing my sons phone yesterday and asked him did he find the issue he said "Yes" perfectly and told me "Issamowbbowbowed prowbeum."

And I can't get the phrase out of my head and have been saying it randomly since.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,966 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Once upon a time, almost all American actors and public figures on the airwaves, tv and movies spoke in a cultivated Mid Atlantic accent.

Now it's ok to speak in your regional US version of a Healy-Rae accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I rang the Chinese guy who is fixing my sons phone yesterday and asked him did he find the issue he said "Yes" perfectly and told me "Issamowbbowbowed prowbeum."

And I can't get the phrase out of my head and have been saying it randomly since.

What's that got to do with anything. This thread is one of the most retarded ever, even by AH standards.

Kermit The Frog is the role model here.

And

Ms Piggy for the women, in all her glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kylta wrote: »
    Do they all speak like beaker
    Kermit The Frog is the role model here.

And

Ms Piggy for the women, in all her glory.

It's like a mix of the two. Big Bang Theory and other "geek" shows are probably not helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,597 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A weird high pitched whine of contorted vowel sounds. Once upon a time you knew an American speaking, as they sounded like a mountain in a manly shape. Slightly slow paced deep toned cadence of serious intent. Now it's as if Jim Henson inhabits their voice box.

There's a lot of Americans out there, you might have to be more specific...
    Some of the accents grate, but then so do some Irish, English Scottish Welsh ones.

Listen to an NFL quarterback being interviewed at a press conference after his team lost. It's still there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Those type of Americans are still around, they're just not being showcased anymore.

Advertisement