Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parked car damaged, what are my options?

Options
  • 03-10-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi

Car insurance question if that's okay.

Woke up this am to discover neighbour had hit my parked car on way to work. Private residential, gated car park. Neighbour accepts laibility.

Just wondering what my options are.

If claiming against his insurance can I go to any garage I wish for repairs?
    Is there usually a long delay between making claim and funds for repairs being released?

If he wants to pay himself out of pocket is that an option? If so, is it a bette roption?

Would be keen to hear opinions, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

First, make sure that you have his insurance details. You can decide where to get it repaired, you do not have to accept someone nominated by him. It's possible to do it without claiming from his insurance but you both have to agree on the estimate, and then there is the not insignificant issue of getting the money from him.

Bear in mind that if he gives you the ok, you get the job done and then he refuses to pay or drags it out such that it's obvious that he won't pay, you have to figure on how you proceed. It's possible that with the damage fixed, his insurance will not pay out on the basis that they need to inspect the damage and approve the estimate before the repair is carried out.

If he doesn't want to involve his insurance, get him to agree the estimate and get the money from him before the repair is done and if he won't stump up, lodge a claim with his insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Thanks for that very helpful reply. New to all this, so it's much appreciated.

My main concern was being able to choose the garage myself, so taking what you say on board, it's probably less hassle for me in the long run to go through his insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Do not accept any quibbling over your estimate. It is my experience that people readily agree to pay privately until they see the true cost of repairs. Follow the advice of Coylemj

Do not accept any quibbling over your estimate. It is my experience that people readily agree to pay privately until they see the true cost of repairs. Follow the advice of Coylemj

Yeah I defo intend to, I'll most likely leave it to the insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get his insurance details, get an estimate, if he questions the damage or quote go straight through his insurance. Some people think a 1 metre dent can be repaired with a €20 can of Hammerite from the local Woodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The other alternative is just to claim from the insurance company and let the other driver pay them back if they want to retain their NCD. You should not be out of pocket or inconvenienced for this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Go to a reputable body repair place and get a quote.

Let them know that the person wants to settle outside insurance.

Don't bother with main dealers, they simply send it out to a body repair garage and add 50% to the cost (sometimes more)

Ace autobody is one of the bigger ones and do a lot of insurance work.

If going through insurance, the insurance company will tell you where to bring it.

Best for neighborly relations to get the best price from a direct body repair place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Get 2 estimates then give him copies he gives you a. Check

Thanks very much everyone, really appreciate the advice. Gonna go through his insurance company, think that's the least messy option. Will ring them Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Best option.

• Advertisement

The other alternative is just to claim from the insurance company and let the other driver pay them back if they want to retain their NCD. You should not be out of pocket or inconvenienced for this person.

True but we can still be decent people with each other. The neighbor is holding his hands up after all.

Op, hope did you know it was him? Did you need to chase him and prove it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Think it's the best option to do it through insurance.

Had similar at work and the guy immediately admitted liability and we agreed to not go through insurance. I got quote and then he agreed to pay after work done.

He texted me out of blue one morning that Christmas was coming blah, blah, blah and could we split the bill. I ignored it and he texted me back a couple of days later apologising and that he would pay it in full. Was extra hassle when I was the one doing him a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

True but we can still be decent people with each other. The neighbor is holding his hands up after all.

Your faith in our fellow drivers is commendable. But in a lot of cases we’ve read here on boards, the other guy ‘holding his hands up’ is a smokescreen for the fact that he doesn’t have insurance. Or is going to string you out, to force you into accepting a lower settlement.

No matter what the other guy says at the scene, get his insurance details. The OP can simply walk up to his neighbour’s car and take a photo of the disc but in many cases, the innocent party accepted assurances at the scene (‘he was so nice about it, I almost felt sorry for him’), fell for it and failed to get the other’s guy’s insurance. And had cause to regret it afterwards.

coylemj wrote: »
    Your faith in our fellow drivers is commendable. But in a lot of cases we’ve read here on boards, the other guy ‘holding his hands up’ is a smokescreen for the fact that he doesn’t have insurance. Or is going to string you out, to force you into accepting a lower settlement.

No matter what the other guy says at the scene, get his insurance details. The OP can simply walk up to his neighbour’s car and take a photo of the disc but in many cases, the innocent party accepted assurances at the scene (‘he was so nice about it, I almost felt sorry for him’), fell for it and failed to get the other’s guy’s insurance. And had cause to regret it afterwards.

Don't disagree for a second. Yo should always operate on the basic of going through insurance and getting it all done properly.

I'm just suggesting that is it's being offered as cash, give the lad a chance to cough up.

Don't disagree for a second. Yo should always operate on the basic of going through insurance and getting it all done properly.

I'm just suggesting that is it's being offered as cash, give the lad a chance to cough up.

He will have the chance though. He can pay the cost to his insurer.

endacl wrote: »
    He will have the chance though. He can pay the cost to his insurer.

its still a claim though isnt it? albeit with a zero cost

its still a claim though isnt it? albeit with a zero cost

Not the OP’s issue. And leaves no room for messing.

endacl wrote: »
    Not the OP’s issue. And leaves no room for messing.

harsh in my opinion. If the guy is at your door with cash in hand to cover the damage. Your just being a dick going to the insurance company

harsh in my opinion. If the guy is at your door with cash in hand to cover the damage. Your just being a dick going to the insurance company

I would have agreed with you till a couple of years ago. I now take the view that if somebody want to avoid going through insurance they probably should have watched where they were going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GladyVelas

If the guilty party fled, you have one option. Look at the neighboring cars - perhaps the owners of the neighboring cars use a video recorder, and he could record the fact of the accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'm sure it got sorted out 2 years before your reply!

Advertisement