Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heifer sale in Carnaross

Options
  • 02-10-2020 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Well lads did many of you go? I watched it online myself. €4100 top prize is eye watering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yep that’s the one. What you think? The mega prices were mainly roany but a few plainer ones didn’t do as well. Still very little under the grand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mad money but if you can breed that colour animal and sell down the line for similar money, give the market what it wants.

This more an art sale than an animal sale, fine creature that she is.

Danzy wrote: »
    Mad money but if you can breed that colour animal and sell down the line for similar money, give the market what it wants.

This more an art sale than an animal sale, fine creature that she is.

That’s a good way of putting it. If I drew the picture I don’t think the demand would be the same though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ah stop 150 /250 ish heifers, you'd want to have 10 fairly good when your dropping thousands on in calf heifers, their was a lot of plain stock there and a lot of their bulls calves must be very rough with the amount of shorthorn and Angus bills being used

• Advertisement

Ah stop 150 /250 ish heifers, you'd want to have 10 fairly good when your dropping thousands on in calf heifers, their was a lot of plain stock there and a lot of their bulls calves must be very rough with the amount of shorthorn and Angus bills being used

Would it not be right to say that they’d all average out well over market value? Strength of having them all on one night I guess? Don’t think bull calves sell as well from what I’ve heard.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Would it not be right to say that they’d all average out well over market value? Strength of having them all on one night I guess? Don’t think bull calves sell as well from what I’ve heard.

They spent 5000 on a heifer that bred the best calf, there's probably plenty more dear heifers with rubbish calves not a word said about. Definitely average out OK but all from a lot of spin as much as anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I'm far from being a judge but that that heifer at 4k+ was way over priced,(imo) grand showey heifer ok but for breeding there was a heifer for 2k (+/-) which had massive potential , great length, top line width, and appeared very correct on her feet. WAs also very quite.

only saw a few lots but I thought the 'plainer' stock were over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It doesn't add up at all.. best you could get from the factory for an animal is circa €2K these weanlings heifers making a lot more than they would in a conventional sale, many of them didn't have 4/5 stars and you are looking at 3 years before you would be selling anything from them. I would guess people breeding cattle would have heifers every bit as good at home in their own herds. It's the same with heifers that are to be sold in Ballymote today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

I think bad of passing €700 to buy cattle to graze while other lads can’t pay enough for fancy heifers to put to the bull and give themselves that little bit extra hardship while probably doing it all in the higher tax bracket. Maybe I’m wrong as usual.

• Advertisement

Did they sell bulls aswell?
    Crazy money for weanlings. How do lads expect to make it back? A few nice lots in it to be fair. I'd prefer a more open type breeding heifer with plenty of milk. But that's just me.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

was talking to a lad today bought heifers at it last year and last night. Very happy with last year's ones, recons they are the so quite he has to push them everywhere. He said last night's ones appear to be the same pure pets, guess that's worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

I was half watching the shorthorn sale in ennis earlier, some very mixed quality, but anything decent went crazy prices

Did they sell bulls aswell?
    Crazy money for weanlings. How do lads expect to make it back? A few nice lots in it to be fair. I'd prefer a more open type breeding heifer with plenty of milk. But that's just me.

Stock bulls were sold in the yard prior to the sale. A lot of the roans are starting to come from the bb lim mix I’m not so sure that’s a recipe for milk?

Did anyone think the simmentals were disproportionately low?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    It doesn't add up at all.. best you could get from the factory for an animal is circa €2K these weanlings heifers making a lot more than they would in a conventional sale, many of them didn't have 4/5 stars and you are looking at 3 years before you would be selling anything from them. I would guess people breeding cattle would have heifers every bit as good at home in their own herds. It's the same with heifers that are to be sold in Ballymote today...

A lot of this is the new boy racer crazy, instead of cars it’s show heifers and roan is in fashion at the moment. Next year it will be another colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Who2

A lot of this is the new boy racer crazy, instead of cars it’s show heifers and roan is in fashion at the moment. Next year it will be another colour.

The roans have always been sought after as long as I’m farming. I doubt they will fall out of fashion anytime soon.

Who2 wrote: »
    The roans have always been sought after as long as I’m farming. I doubt they will fall out of fashion anytime soon.

I agree I think the roan fleck will be here to stay. It’s just how it’s brought about that changes. A lot of it is through the blue lim cross and I wonder if milk will suffer as a result

I agree I think the roan fleck will be here to stay. It’s just how it’s brought about that changes. A lot of it is through the blue lim cross and I wonder if milk will suffer as a result

I’ve a fair percentage of roans here, some would be more traditional sh type but more of the lm x bb. All have plenty of milk but some would have very bad shaped spins for a fresh calf to suck.

I always liked roan cows but never really had much luck with them, have had a few blue SH that we're good and got some lovely blue simmental cattle off them. Have a lovely Zag heifer calf off a blue SH cow that I am hoping to breed from.

A roan cow isn't much good if she doesn't have a roan calf, bought a nice red sfl blue weanling, make a tidy cow in time.

• Advertisement

Judging from this sims well behind lim/char

Wups I can’t read. Behind lim. I bought a sim bull and I’m paranoid now!

Wups I can’t read. Behind lim. I bought a sim bull and I’m paranoid now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know where to find a report from the Simmental sale in Ballymote yesterday?

tanko wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find a report from the Simmental sale in Ballymote yesterday?

They had a fair few prices up on Facebook, seemed to be a good enough trade. I was talking to a lad who went to both sales, he said carnaross was young lads with credit cards and ballymote was auld lads with cheque books.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

tanko wrote: »
    Are you on Facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/Irishsimmental/

Who2 wrote: »
    They had a fair few prices up on Facebook, seemed to be a good enough trade. I was talking to a lad who went to both sales, he said carnaross was young lads with credit cards and ballymote was auld lads with cheque books.

Where would a fella go with a fistful of dollars? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Some lads just want the roan color that's all. I have a roan heifer on land away from the farm. A lad stopped me one day in town and asked would i sell the heifer. He's a man for the shows so i thought i would have a bit of fun with him. I said she's a lunatic and out of a scrub bull. her mother is a poor milker. I said all this for the craic to see his reaction. It didn't matter one bit to him because.......she's roan! if i asked €5k he probably would have given it to me. They are like trophies it seems.

• Advertisement

Advertisement