Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water leaking on footpath in front of my driveway

Options
  • 02-10-2020 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi. This week, I saw water on the footpath in front of my driveway, like a pipe was burst. I called Irish Water and they sent someone out when I was at work. That person said the leak was on my side, so it was my problem. However, the water is now bubbling out from under the footpath and I can't see where it's coming from on my side. I turned the mains off at the footpath but the water is still running and bubbling up from under that. Does anyone know why that is? I have neighbours and I'm wondering if maybe it's their pipe that's leaking and maybe it runs past my house or something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Water continuing to flow after your stopcock was closed would suggest the issue isn’t on your side. Did you shut it off at the Irish water meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

Yeah I shut it off at the Irish water meter on the footpath yesterday evening. I waited til this morning to check and there is still water coming from the footpath and I don't have any water in my house- checked taps and toilets. Does this mean that the responsibility lies with Irish water? There is a neighbour's water meter on the footpath about 30cm from my one so I'm hoping it's theirs and not my responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Yeah I shut it off at the Irish water meter on the footpath yesterday evening. I waited til this morning to check and there is still water coming from the footpath and I don't have any water in my house- checked taps and toilets. Does this mean that the responsibility lies with Irish water? There is a neighbour's water meter on the footpath about 30cm from my one so I'm hoping it's theirs and not my responsibility.

Either Irish water or your neighbours - most unlikely to be on your side.
    Have you any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Would it matter whose side its on , i though Irish Water were operating on a first fix free policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

I called them the 2nd time and asked about the first free fix I saw on their website. They said it can take up to 4 weeks for that to be carried out. In the meantime, the leak has reduced by a whole lot in the past week, it's barely noticeable now. It's like a small trickle now. I'm glad as it was like a small stream the week before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

What i would say is to try and be there when they are locating the leak . If the leak is not on your side make sure your " first Fix Free" isnt used up on it and be very clear with them about that.

Advertisement