Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching dog tail hook to hollow door?

Options
  • 02-10-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Any advice for hanging a couple of these hooks on the back of a standard bedroom door for kids dressing gowns.31ZXh4W-wWL._AC_SS400_.jpg

I have tried 3m command strips, waited 24 hours before adding the hook, and they last a week at the most before getting pulled off.
    oval-hook-3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭micks_address

if you are not to worried about them coming off then id suggest the command hooks you have and add a blob of 'tec 7' on the back of them.. leave it dry a couple of hours and should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

Nice idea. I already have clear gorilla glue, should be equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭micks_address

boardtc wrote: »
    Nice idea. I already have clear gorilla glue, should be equivalent?

yeah should probably do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

What's on the flat side of them
    Is there a cit out for a screw head.
    I would be looking along the lines of a toggle bolt plasterboard fixing

Aye, there a cut out that a screw can slip up into.
    Something like this?
    5255K_P&$prodImageMedium$
    I'm in B & Q later, maybe their plasterboard stuff would work like you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

yes like that
    only problem you will have is that the screw will need to be sticking out so you might need some tiny washers to allow the screw to tighten up the fixing.
    make sure that the plugs will work down to really thin material. some only work in 10+ mm thick material

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would try glueing a piece of 1/4" ply to the door and then screwing a very short screw into the ply for the dogs ass to clip on to.
    The little white plate should serve as a decent template for the plywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you are trying to stick it again then try cleaning both surfaces first with a solvent, it makes a massive difference when you get rid of any grease.

Also where do the 3m command strips fail? Do they come off the door first or the dogs tails. That plastic they are made of can by tricky stuff to get some glues to stick to it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

boardtc wrote: »
    Aye, there a cut out that a screw can slip up into.

In that case, why not just put a screw into the door (with the head protruding) and just slide the hook onto it?

Adhesive, plugs etc all look over-complicated for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

In that case, why not just put a screw into the door (with the head protruding) and just slide the hook onto it?

Adhesive, plugs etc all look over-complicated for this.

It's a hollow door.. the screws will come straight back out again once there's any bit of pressure on them.

OP, I'd go with that adhesive again, even the 3M strips but make sure the two sides are spotless and free of grease. If needs be even sand down the attachment spots if the door is varnished.
    BTW, hang the hooks at a height where the kids can easily get their dressing gowns down. Putting them too high just means they'll be pulling at them and they'll have them off again in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Wonder if the plugs would hold a protruding screw head, might do, since slotted into the cut out of the animal tail.

If you are trying to stick it again then try cleaning both surfaces first with a solvent, it makes a massive difference when you get rid of any grease.

Also where do the 3m command strips fail? Do they come off the door first or the dogs tails. That plastic they are made of can by tricky stuff to get some glues to stick to it.

Should have done this, restuck them with gorilla glue and one has since come off :-( The 3M stay hooked into the dog tail, it comes off the door.

A bit embarrassing. I bought hollow door fixing and went to do the solution shown by @bobbyy_gee. I drilled a hole in the door and it went right through, it turns out i's not a hollow door but a shaker door I think they are called which now has a 6mm hole through it 1cm thick. Jaysus, bit of a muppet move.

I guess I can fill the hole. With it being 1cm think what's the best way to attach this holder on?

iOj9l4.jpg

Advertisement