Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date a woman taller/older than you?

Options
  • 02-10-2020 8:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

The general rule seems to be that men date women younger and shorter than them. I'm not sure whether the latter is intentional or just that people get in a relationship and it happens to work out that way.

I personally find women in their late 20s to late 30s the most attractive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

The general rule seems to be that men date women younger and shorter than them. I'm not sure whether the latter is intentional or just that people get in a relationship and it happens to work out that way.

I not only insist they are taller and older, but heavier and hairier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

When you are still in school older women are always more attractive. Once you get the junior cert under your belt your tastes will change again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My 1st proper GF, was 6'3", at the time I was only 6'1".
    She was also older than me by a couple of months...

Do I win?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd have to check with my wife first, but yes, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My wife's older than me.

Wouldn't rule anyone out on the basis of height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

If Alexandria Daddario(34) was in my eyeline, I'd be on her like Stalin on a kulak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Welcome back …..

The inane recommences

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If Alexandria Daddario(34) was in my eyeline, I'd be on her like Stalin on a kulak

Excellent choice.

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'm 5' 6" and was with a girl for about 3 or 4 months that was 6' 3". I'm sure it was an odd sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The certainties in life;

Death, Taxes, and Inane Mr_Fegelien threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

What about ugly short fat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I'm 5' 6" and was with a girl for about 3 or 4 months that was 6' 3". I'm sure it was an odd sight.

What age were you? In school, college, work?

Was she sexy?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I think there's a social stigma with a man dating a woman taller then him. At least among the men I've seen they seem to give others/friends a hard time over it, all under the guise of banter mind you, but still. Most women I've talked to though seem to prefer that the man be taller then them as well.
    I'm 6' 2" so most girls aren't as tall as me anyway, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

She doesn't look 34,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Absolutely. It saves a lot of neck strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,683 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Height seems to be a big thing (heh!) for a lot of women alright. I'm only 5'7ish myself so not much I can do about it but would date taller alright.

Age-wise I've traditionally ended up with younger girls (7/8 years or a bit more) but would date a year or two older as well (I'm mid-40s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I've dated women taller than me and I don't understand why it would be an issue. Such a boring, inconsequential thing to care about.

As for age, I've always been drawn to women around the same age as myself, but I wouldn't have any hard and fast rules. As long as there's a pulse genuine connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I'd date any woman with a good sense of humour, irrevelant of shape size or colour, has long as she has a good sense of humour. In the past i've dated women maybe between 10years younger and 5years older than me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

They are all the same height in bed. Op i suggest you date a Chinese woman, they are all the same height weight etc, you could take the clothes off on Chinese woman and it would fit another Chinese woman down to the racing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm definitely not short but to me the whole short/tall debate lacks civility. I also think there's huge gender double standard going on. I've worked in Ireland, England and America and I think it varies between country in terms of how vocal people are about their preferences. However, it's generally true that taller men do better.

I'm perfectly OK with people having preferences, however, I think the way certain girls talk degradingly about a man based on something like height is double standard in terms of expectations of how they would like to be treated and also very low grade behaviour.

I don't think it's that bad in Ireland, however, I noticed it a lot more when I worked in England. There was a guy in the lab around 5 foot 6 who was the subject of discussion of three educated girls. One of these decided to inform him that she "couldn't date anyone as short as him, an unsolicited piece of information that encouraged the other girls present to join in the mockery. This was repeated. It wasn't a matter of the guy asking thee girls out and being rejected, it seemed more like these girls had to tell this guy that his physical condition was offensive to them.

Now imagine men telling a woman in the office she was too fat to date or that they expect a girl to be thinner than a man. It's a double standard that needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's only going to represent more of a challenge tbh. Height has become a meme(like dick size) but the more it infests peoples minds, the more it becomes a shared fact/expectation. Suddenly, something that didn't really matter to girls/women starts to become important because its in the collective imagination.

I'm 5'8'', I'm not even bothered about my height; I think it's the certainty of it, I know no matter what that my height is objectively average/below average. I'd be far more concerned about my looks which are much more open to interpretation. That's why I think tall guys have it good; you can argue about looks but not about height. I really hope it doesn't matter that much to women. In some ways I don't think it does really. There's nothing wrong with a taller girl having a preference for a taller guy, I can get it but there's no need for a 5'4'' girl to demand a guy that is 6'2''

Most of the women I've dated have been older than me, the oldest being 36 years older than me.

Height is meaningless, rarely an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't remember age ever being an issue. Neither was the height thing for me. I've heard of the height thing being mentioned to others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yes to both, wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

In 1985, a 19-year-old girl in Ireland was, on average, 162.4cms in height – around five foot, three inches. In 2019, the average height is 164.5cms.

The change in height for boys of the same age here during that time also improved from 177.1cms – around five foot, eight inches – to 179cms in 2019.

In terms of BMI, over 35 years, 19-year-old girls in Ireland are now heavier, up from 21.7/m to 22.6/m.

Over the same period, the BMI for boys rose from 21.7/m to 22.7/m.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-teenagers-are-getting-taller-and-heavier-39713012.html

I would have thought the height gain in males was bigger and that the average height was taller than that.
    I vaguely recall hearing that people in country areas of Ireland were smaller in the past; I wonder if that is still true?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

iptba wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-teenagers-are-getting-taller-and-heavier-39713012.html

I would have thought the height gain in males was bigger and that the average height was taller than that.
    I vaguely recall hearing that people in country areas of Ireland were smaller in the past; I wonder if that is still true?

Each generation is ever so slightly taller then the one that came before it; evolution basically.
    The Romans were 5'5" on average, now Italians are usually 5'9" or 5'10" in today's world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ekerot wrote: »
    Each generation is ever so slightly taller then the one that came before it; evolution basically.
    The Romans were 5'5" on average, now Italians are usually 5'9" or 5'10" in today's world.
    Far more to do with better or different nutrition rather than evolution. EG Asian Americans get taller with each generation from the first immigrant folks. In the early medieval in Europe people were not much shorter than people today, barely an inch in it, then the heights started to drop around the 13th century(IIRC) and stayed shorter until the 20th century. One explanation for the early medieval is that it was a warmer period of time and more and better food could be produced which led to an overall increase in stature. Populations were also lower and less dense so disease rates were lower too. The coming of a colder snap with the little ice age caused food production to drop and the move to more urban living increased the levels of disease, all of which caused a drop in heights in the population. I seem to recall that in this period even puberty was delayed in children and twelve year olds were on average much shorter than twelve year olds today, but kept in the growing phase for longer, but not enough to catch up with people today. In this period of dropping heights the rich tended to be taller because they had access to better nutrition. So basically better nutrition, more calories and particularly more protein and less disease over generations makes the average height go up. Reverse that and people get shorter.

Another example today is the difference in heights between North and South Korea. The former are shorter on average.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

For many years I would pretty much only look at women who were smaller than me, as I'm pretty short and I would have felt a bit embarrassed. I also found that Irish women were far more interested in taller men only, and if they beautiful the chances of me getting a look in were slim.

However I found foreign girls a whole lot less bothered by this especially South Americans. Now I'm married to a girl who's a good 3 inches taller than me, and instead of being self-conscious about it, I'm now proud of the fact that I have a tall, beautiful Brazilian wife. Like someone said above if she wears heels on a night out we do look kinda hilarious, but I quickly realise no one is looking at me, unless to say fair play...

It did take me a long time however to build up the self-confidence to realise that it doesn't really matter, unless you make it so.

Advertisement