Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What or who Is Woke and who came up with the term?

Options
  • 01-10-2020 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So I hear and see this a lot lately mostly from people giving out about it in T.V programs and here in AH.
    So is a Trans person supposed to be Woke then because to me they are just a person. It is not up to us to judge if a Women or man is not happy in there assigned body and want to change to the type they would be happier been and prefer to be. I see people saying but what if they want kids. I have news not everyone on this planet wants to have kids. Besides they could always adopt a child.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Winterrr

AMKC wrote: »
    So I hear and see this a lot lately mostly from people giving out about it in T.V programs and here in AH.
    So is a Trans person supposed to be Woke then because to me they are just a person. It is not up to us to judge if a Women or man is not happy in there assigned body and want to change to the type they would be happier been and prefer to be. I see people saying but what if they want kids. I have news not everyone on this planet wants to have kids. Besides they could always adopt a child.
    I agree

Woke is the past tense of wake.

The rest is ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

No it's you that are woke if you have all the correct, proscribed views on trans and other issues. To the outside world then you are just a progressive and very nice person. Inside your ego can swell due to being morally superior and being on the right side. you'll need to signal your wokeness a lot because there is a lot of competition and you need to keep up there at the leading edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No idea, never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

AllForIt wrote: »
    No idea, never heard of it.

Wake up!

Then my friend you will be woke

• Advertisement

Alex Jones woke everyone up after 911..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Is woke the new hip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It was a self described term for the social justice crowd but got flipped around to being an insult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Being " woke " defines how alert you are to modern injustice in society. It has a subliminal existence in so far as it can be used to deflect and defend anything you want "it" to.

It is not just people fighting injustice and casting aspersions on everything they don't agree with who use the terminology, a lot of antagonising chunts do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It is the act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue.

Most intellectually subnormal upper middle class left-leaning students and multinational corporations are Woke.

It was created by cretins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

John Doe1 wrote: »
    It is the act of being very pretentious about how much you pretend to care about a social issue.

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 85,715 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From Google

Woke means being conscious of racial discrimination in society and other forms of oppression and injustice. In mainstream use, woke can also more generally describe someone or something as being "with it."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

1xtoo7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The term of phrase is similar to saying "The West's awake" as in the west is woken up to whats going on.
    But it also mean to be up to date with whatever social-justice-cause-de-jour is happening like BLM, feminism et cetera

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

To me it describes someone who pretends to care about social injustice, all the while enjoying their own life which is not usually affected by the injustice they pretend to care about. It also has to come with the insistence that they are right and you are wrong for not agreeing with them 100%. If they are actually affected by it, I wouldn't call them woke because they're actually experiencing it. Not sure if it still has a positive meaning tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's one of those terms I see exclusively used by people giving out about people they associate with those terms. Liberals, triggered, multiculturalism are all part of the set. Rarely used by the people they describe.

Advertisement